All the electrical devices such as PCs, Desktop, Laptops, etc., that we use in our daily lives for many purposes. For businesses, for running the Internet, for entertainment, as well. It contains many components such as a processor, operating system, RAM, and much more. What operating system, our Laptop or PC or also desktop contains is really important. As we are provided along with many operating systems such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, etc. That we want to use is a really important decision to make. In this article, we are going to talk about Why Windows Update Are Really Slow – Tutorial. Let’s begin!
All the operating systems have their own advantages and disadvantages as well. But, we generally select an operating system that is handy and easy to use as well. And the Windows operating system is basically the best choice because it is really user-friendly and easy to operate as well.
Windows operating system comes with a lot of windows versions such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and much more. The latest version of windows that is also available in the market is Windows 10. As we live in a world of technology, so day-to-day new updates also arrive in the market. Just like that, with Windows 10, new updates arrive daily. Windows 10 users can see a notification that a new update is also available for their system.
No matter how much you prevent updating your Windows, at some point in time, it becomes important. In order to update it as many problems may also start arising just like your PC may slow down or some applications may also stop supporting and running, as well. Updating Windows can give you new features such as security fixes, improvements, as well. And it is also not a really difficult task in order to keep your PC up-to-date.
- 1 Why Windows Update Are Really Slow – Tutorial
- 1.1 How to check if Update is Available for Windows 10?
- 1.2 Why are Windows 10 Updates Extremely Slow? | windows update are really slow
- 1.3 Perform Clean Boot in Windows 10
- 1.4 Scheduled Windows Updates using Active Hours
- 1.5 Check your Internet Connection
- 1.6 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 1.7 Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10
- 1.8 Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder | windows update are really slow
- 1.9 Run .BAT File to Re-register DLL files | windows update are really slow
- 1.10 If all else fails then install the Updates Manually
- 1.11 Conclusion
Why Windows Update Are Really Slow – Tutorial
How to check if Update is Available for Windows 10?
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something really goes wrong.
In order to check if an update is available for windows10 and to update it follow the below steps:
- Tap on Windows Key + I to open Settings and then tap on Update and Security.
- Now under Windows Update below window will open.
- Tap on on “Check for updates” in order to check which updates are available.
- Then you guys will see if any new updates are available.
- Tap on the Download button in order to download updates, for newer builds the update will also start downloading itself.
- After that below box will appear, that will show updates progress.
- Then After reaching 100%, your updates download is completed, and tap on Install Now to install the updates. For newer builds, and then the updates will start automatically.
- After Windows finish installing updates, it will also ask for a System Restart. If you guys don’t want to restart, and then you can schedule a restart or manually restart later as well.
Why are Windows 10 Updates Extremely Slow? | windows update are really slow
Many times, the above steps do not take place as smoothly as we think. Unfortunately, the Windows10 update process is really slow, and it also takes a lot of time to update it. There are a lot of reasons why Windows 10 Updates are extremely slow. These are:
- Windows 10 is a really big, complicated operating system. There are some updates that are really small and are not even noticed whenever they are updated. Just like that, others are really large and huge and take a huge amount of time to update.
- If you are using a slow internet connection, downloading even one gigabyte can take hours.
- If multiple people try to update the window simultaneously, this also affects the speed of updating.
- Windows may be extremely unoptimized. You guys might be using it for a very long time, and there is just too much old application data.
- You may also have changed the wrong settings. If that is the case, then even well-tuned updates can also take forever.
- Some updates have to cover many things, and a slow or old hard disk drive along with lots of unneeded files everywhere can also create a lot of problems.
- Windows Update is itself a program, so maybe its component or part of the program can break and throw the whole process off.
- However, updating windows, third-party applications, services, and drivers may also cause software conflicts.
- One of the reasons is that windows have to rewrite its registry each and every time it installs an update.
- How fragmented your hard drive is because if it is not properly fragmented then the hard drive has to do more searching for free space into which the computer can also write updated files, and it will also consume a lot of time.
Just do not worry if any of the above problems happen. As we know, each and every problem comes along with a solution, so below are some solutions that we can use in order to fix Windows 10 extremely slow updates:
Perform Clean Boot in Windows 10
- Tap on the Windows Key + R button, and then type msconfig and click OK.
- Now under the General tab under, also make sure Selective startup is checked.
- Then uncheck Load startup items under selective startup.
- Just switch to the Service tab and then checkmark Hide all Microsoft services.
- Just click Disable all button to turn off all the unnecessary services that might cause conflict.
- On the Startup tab, tap on Open Task Manager.
- Now, in the Startup tab (Inside Task Manager) turn off all the startup items that are enabled.
- Tap on OK and then Restart. Now again try to Update Windows and this time you guys will be able to update your Windows successfully.
- Again just tap on the Windows key + R button and type msconfig and hit Enter.
- On the General tab, you have to choose the Normal Startup option and then click OK.
- When you guys are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart. This would definitely help you Fix Windows 10 Updates extremely slow issues as well.
When, your PC or Desktop, or Laptop restarts, again try to update your window. Whenever Windows Updates start working, then just make sure to turn on the Startup programs back from the System Configuration window as well.
Scheduled Windows Updates using Active Hours
Active Hours lets you specify the hours in which you guys are most active on your device to prevent Windows from updating your PC in the specified period of time automatically. No updates will also be installed during those hours, but, you guys still can’t manually install these updates. Whenever a restart is important to finish installing an update as well. Windows won’t automatically restart your PC actually during active hours actually. Anyway, let’s see How you can Change Active Hours for Windows 10 Update along with this tutorial.
Check your Internet Connection
There can be a lot of causes for this error, such as DNS issues, Proxy issues, etc. However, before that make sure your Internet Connection is working (use another device in order to check or use another browser). And you guys have disabled VPNs (Virtual Private Network) running on your system as well. Also, make sure that you have a good high-speed internet connection as well.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can also solve the Windows 10 Updates extremely slow issue via running “Windows Update troubleshooter”. This will also take a few minutes and will automatically detect and then fix your problem.
- Click on Windows Key + I to open Settings and then click on Update & Security.
- From the left-hand menu, just make sure to choose Troubleshoot.
- Now under the Getup and running section, you have to tap on Windows Update.
- When you click on it, click on “Run the troubleshooter” under Windows Update.
- Just follow on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter and then see if you’re able to Fix the Windows Update Stuck issue.
If none of the above steps was helpful in troubleshooting the extremely slow Windows 10 Update issue. Then as a last resort, you guys could try to run Microsoft Fixit which seems helpful in fixing the issue as well.
- Then tap on here and then scroll down till you find “Fix Windows Update errors.”
- Tap on it to download the Microsoft Fixit or else you can directly download it from here.
- When download, double-click on the file in order to run the Troubleshooter.
- Just make sure to click Advanced and then tap on “Run as administrator” option.
- When the Troubleshooter will have administrator privileges, and it will then again open, then click on advanced and choose “Apply repairs automatically.”
- Now follow the on-screen instruction to complete the process, and it will automatically troubleshoot all the issues along with Windows Updates & fix them.
Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10
Now Disk defragmentation re-arranges all the pieces of data that are actually spread across your hard drive and stored them together again. Whenever the files are written to disk, it is broken into a lot of pieces as there is not enough contiguous space to save the complete file. Thus the files become fragmented. Naturally, reading all these pieces of data from different places will also take some time, in short, it will make your PC slow, have long boot times, random crashes and freeze-ups, as well.
Defragmentation reduces file fragmentation, hence, improving the speed with which data is read and written to disk. That ultimately increases your PC’s performance. Disk defragmentation also cleans the disk, hence, increasing the overall storage capacity as well.
Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder | windows update are really slow
- First of all, open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step via searching for ‘cmd’ and then click on Enter.
- Now type the following commands in order to stop Windows Update Services and then hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
also, net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Next, type the following command in order to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- At last, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and hit Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
also, net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your PC in order to save changes and check if you can Fix Windows 10 Updates really slow issue.
If you are still not able to download the updates, and then you have to delete SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Tap on Windows Key + R then type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Right-tap on Windows Update service and choose Stop.
- Now open File Explorer and then navigate to the following location:
- Just delete all the files and then folders under SoftwareDistribution.
- Now again right-click on Windows Update service and then choose Start.
- Then in order to try to download the updates that were stuck earlier as well.
Run .BAT File to Re-register DLL files | windows update are really slow
- You have to open Notepad file then copy & paste the following code as it is:
net stop cryptsvc net stop wuauserv ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old regsvr32 comcat.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll /s proxycfg -u Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s regsvr32 cdm.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 mssip32.dll /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s regsvr32 msrating.dll /s regsvr32 mlang.dll /s regsvr32 hlink.dll /s regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s regsvr32 corpol.dll /s regsvr32 jscript.dll /s regsvr32 msxml.dll /s regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s regsvr32 inseng.dll /s regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s regsvr32 dispex.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s regsvr32 msident.dll /s regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s regsvr32 ils.dll /s regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s regsvr32 danim.dll /s regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s regsvr32 datime.dll /s regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s regsvr32 wups2.dll /S regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s regsvr32 wshext.dll /s regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s proxycfg –d sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;; ;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) regsvr32 mshtml.dll /s net start cryptsvc net start wuauserv
- Just click on File then choose Save As.
- From Save as type drop-down choose “All Files” and navigate where you guys want to save the file.
- Now name the file as fix_update.bat (.bat extension is really important) and then tap on Save.
- Right-tap on the fix_update.bat file and then select Run as Administrator.
- This will also restore and register your DLL files fixing the Windows 10 Updates extremely slow issue.
If all else fails then install the Updates Manually
- Right-tap on “This PC” and choose Properties.
- Now in System Properties, then check the System type and see if you guys have a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.
- Tap on Windows Key + I to open Settings then tap on the Update & Security icon.
- Now under Windows Update note down the “KB“ number of the update that fails to install.
- Then, open Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge then navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Now under the search box, type the KB number you guys noted in step 4.
- Just tap on Download button next to the latest update for your OS type, i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit.
- When the file is downloaded, double-tap on it and follow on-screen instructions in order to complete the installation.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this “windows update are really slow” article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!
Leave a Comment