Well, Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP Configuration in windows is basically caused whenever your NIC (Network Interface Card) is basically hooked up to your Router. As well as Modem via the Ethernet Cable is unable to get a VALID IP Address (Internet Protocol). This is actually needed for the computer in order to speak to the router, and function on the internet as well. There are actually three main causes for this issue to occur actually, the first one is a faulty router, the second one is basically an incorrectly assigned IP Address to the PC. And the third one is the faulty NIC actually. We will also address the issue in three steps, and also they must be followed in the sequence listed. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. Let’s begin!
- 1 How to Fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
- 1.1 Power-Cycle your Computer
- 1.2 Reinstall TCP/IP Settings
- 1.3 Flush DNS and Reset TCP/IP
- 1.4 Reset your Network Settings | valid IP configuration
- 1.5 Disable and Enable your NIC
- 1.6 Uninstall Ethernet Drivers
- 1.7 Check the Connected Cables | valid IP configuration
- 1.8 Turn off IPv6
- 1.9 Enable DHCP
- 1.10 Run Network Troubleshooter | valid IP configuration
- 1.11 Perform a Check Disk Scan
- 1.12 Conclusion
How to Fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Power-Cycle your Computer
There is a feature Fast Startup which is basically designed to load settings from systems memory as well as cache to decrease boot and start-up time. Many users reported that this issue is fixed whenever the system is restarted and fast startup is disabled as well.
Well, turning off Fast Startup is undoubtedly the most effective solution capable of fixing this issue. Although it basically results in the loss of the Fast Startup feature altogether. In order to disable Fast Startup, you have to:
- Right-tap on the Start Menu button to open the WinX Menu.
- Now tap on Power Options in the WinX Menu.
- Tap on Choose what the power buttons do / Choose what the power button does in the left pane.
- Tap on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Now, near the bottom of the window, uncheck the checkbox beside Turn on fast startup (recommended) to turn off Fast Startup.
- Tap on Save changes.
- Just close the System Settings
- Restart your PC.
Reinstall TCP/IP Settings
- Right-tap on the Windows key and then choose “Command Prompt(Admin).”
- Then type the following commands and click enter:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
- Restart your PC to apply these changes as well.
Flush DNS and Reset TCP/IP
- Right-tap on Windows Button and choose “Command Prompt(Admin).”
- Now type the following command and click on Enter after each one:
1. ipconfig /release
2. ipconfig /flushdns
3. ipconfig /renew
- Again open Admin Command Prompt and then type the following and click enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns nbtstat –r netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset
- Now reboot to apply changes. Flushing DNS seems to fix this error.
Reset your Network Settings | valid IP configuration
Another thing that you can try is resetting your internet settings. There are a lot of cases when the network settings either become outdated or conflict along with the existing network. By flushing the DNS server and also resetting the socket. We can also reinitialize the connection procedure in hopes that this will solve the issue.
- Tap on Windows + S, type “command prompt” in the dialogue box, and click Enter.
- When in the command prompt, then execute the following instructions one by one:
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew nbtstat –R nbtstat –RR netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt netsh winsock reset
- After resetting your settings, then restart your PC properly. After restarting, click Windows + R, type “control panel” in the dialogue box, and click Enter.
- Now choose Network and sharing center and tap on Change adapter settings present at the left side of the screen.
- Right-tap on your Ethernet hardware and choose Disable. After disabling, right-tap on it again and press Enable.
- Restart your PC again and then see if the problem persists.
Disable and Enable your NIC
- Tap on Windows key + R, and then type “ncpa.cpl” and hit enter.
- Now right tap on the NIC that is facing issue the issue.
- Choose Disable and again Enable it after a few minutes.
- Just wait till it successfully receives an IP address.
- If the issue persists then type the following commands in cmd:
ipconfig /release ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew
- Restart your PC and now check if you’re able to resolve the error.
Uninstall Ethernet Drivers
- Tap Windows Key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” to open the Device Manager.
- Now expand the Network adapter and right-tap on Network Adapter for which you’re facing the issue and tap Uninstall.
- If asked for confirmation click OK.
- At last, click Action and then Scan for hardware changes.
- Restart your PC to apply these changes now.
Check the Connected Cables | valid IP configuration
If you guys have performed all the steps mentioned above. Then you should make sure that all the cables are connected properly not only with your computer but also in all router/switch locations. There has been much feedback from users who reported that the cables were not connected properly.
You should hear a ‘click’ sound on your device when you guys plug an Ethernet cable. After that, the sudden blinking on the device will then signify that the cable is correctly connected. This is not only limited to the cable architecture in your home actually. However, also the main cable connecting your home to the internet (mostly installed via the ISP).
Another important diagnostic you guys can make is that if other devices are not able to connect to the internet as well. It is more an indication that something is not wrong with your PC.
Turn off IPv6
- Right-tap on the WiFi icon on the system tray and then tap on “Open Network and Sharing Center.”
- Now tap on your current connection in order to open Settings.
Note: If you can’t connect to your network then use an Ethernet cable to connect and then follow this step.
- Press the Properties button in the window that just open.
- Now make sure to uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IP).
- Tap on OK then clicks Close. Just reboot your PC to save changes.
DHCP Automatically detects and assigns the network configuration settings on your PC. Thus, if it is disabled the network configurations might not be applied properly that can trigger the error. In this step, we are enabling the DHCP option on your PC. For that:
- Click the “Windows” + “R” keys simultaneously to open up the RUN prompt.
- Type in “services.msc” and click “Enter“.
- In the Services Window, double-tap on the “DHCP Client“.
- Tap on the Startup type dropdown and choose “Automatic” from the list of options.
- Click on the “Start” option to trigger the service.
- Now navigate back and then “Right-click” on the “DHCP Client” option.
- Choose the “Restart-Service” option and select “yes” in the confirmation box.
Run Network Troubleshooter | valid IP configuration
- Tap on Windows Key + I to open Settings then tap on Update & Security.
- From the left-hand menu choose Troubleshoot.
- Now under Troubleshoot tap on Internet Connections and then click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow further on-screen instructions in order to run the troubleshooter.
- Now reboot your PC to save changes.
Perform a Check Disk Scan
Sometimes, if some areas of the Hard Disk are corrupted, then they might interfere along with certain elements of the operating system. They can also interfere with the Ethernet Drivers and avoid them from functioning properly. Thus, in this step, we are performing a check disk scan in order to identify and fix bad sectors of the hard drive. For that:
- Tap on the “Windows” + “R” keys simultaneously.
- Then type in “cmd” in the dialogue box and click on “Enter“
- Now type in “chkdsk c: /f” and click on “Enter” in order to initiate it.
- Tap on “Y” in order to confirm the scheduling of a disk check scan.
- Now, wait for the Disk Check scan in order to complete and check to see if the issue persists.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!