If you guys are facing an error message saying ‘We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down’ whenever updating the Windows. Then just don’t worry; you are at the perfect place reading the perfect article. The fact is that we have been through the same situation, and we too looked around for solutions. We totally get the situation you guys are in right now, and thus, in this article, we are intended to help you out. You can go through the given solutions and also follow the steps to fix the error. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down. Let’s start!
- 1 How to Fix We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down
- 1.1 Run Troubleshooter
- 1.2 Uninstall Third-Party Antivirus Software
- 1.3 Reboot Your Computer | update service was shutting down
- 1.4 Make Sure Windows Update Service is Running
- 1.5 Disable Windows Defender Service
- 1.6 Repair Windows Files using DISM | update service was shutting down
- 1.7 Fix Corrupted Windows Update Database
- 1.8 Reset Windows 10 | update service was shutting down
- 1.9 Conclusion
How to Fix We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down
If the reboot does not really work, the next best option is troubleshooting. You guys can fix your error using windows troubleshoot via following the steps:
- Click on Windows Key +I to open Settings then tap on Update &security options.
- On the left, then you’ll find the Troubleshoot option. Tap on it.
- There, you have to click on the Additional troubleshooters.
- Now, in this additional troubleshooting section, then tap on the Windows Update option.
- And in the last step, choose the Run the troubleshooter option.
That’s just it. You only need to follow the above steps, and windows will then automatically repair the system and fix the error. Windows Troubleshoot feature is meant to solve such irregular errors as well.
Uninstall Third-Party Antivirus Software
Many times these third-party antivirus applications also block your system from installing the updates as well. They turn off the service of installing the updates on your system due to the potential threat they sense. As it seems completely senseless, you guys can fix the error via uninstalling these third-party applications from your system. You have to follow the given steps to uninstall the third-party apps:
- First of all, you have to search for the Control Panel in Windows Search and open it.
- Now under the Programs section in Control Panel, head for the ‘Uninstall a program’ option.
- Then another window will pop up. Now just search for the third-party application you want to uninstall.
- Now right-tap on it and choose Uninstall.
After uninstalling the third-party apps, reboot your device. This will apply to the changes that occurred after the uninstalls as well. Now just try to update your Windows again. If it worked and you guys have installed the pending updates, you guys can reinstall the antivirus.
Reboot Your Computer | update service was shutting down
In order to install pending windows updates, most of the time, you guys need to reboot your system. It is actually the requirement of the system in order to validate the update services of windows.
As for the errors, you guys must have solved many problems just rebooting your computer. Miraculously, it happens to work most of the time actually. Hence, here you just have to reboot your system to fix the windows error. Press Alt+F4 or straight head to start options to reboot your computer. If that doesn’t really work, we have other ways mentioned in order to help you out.
Make Sure Windows Update Service is Running
Windows services. msc is an MMC (Microsoft Management Console) that is actually meant to keep a check on Windows Services. It permits users permission to start as well as stop running services on the computer. Now, you have to follow along to fix your problem:
- Click on Windows Key + R to open the Run window then type services.msc in the box and tap on OK.
- Now, a window Services Snap-will show up actually. Just check there for the Windows Update option in the Name section.
- The Windows Update service should be set to automatic, however, if it is set to Manual in the Startup Type, double-tap on it. Now, just head to the Startup Type dropdown menu and then change it to Automatic and click on Enter.
- Tap on Apply followed by the OK button. As for the final step, just try again to reinstall the system updates which are pending.
This method has also worked for many and must work for you too. Mostly, the given problem is due to Updates being set to manual. Since you have turned it back to automatic, then your problem should get solved.
Disable Windows Defender Service
You guys can also fix the ‘We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down’ error via disabling the Windows Defender Service from the Services window. Here is how you guys can do it:
- Tap on Windows Key + R to open the Run window and then type services.msc and click on the Enter button or click OK.
- Now, in the Services window, then search for the Windows Defender Service in the Name column.
- If it is not set to Disabled the Startup Type column, double-tap on it.
- Now from the Startup Type dropdown menu, select Disabled, and click on Enter.
Repair Windows Files using DISM | update service was shutting down
You guys can try to fix the Windows corrupted files first. You will need the DISM as well as System File Checker Tool. Just don’t worry about the jargon here. Just follow the steps to fix this issue and then update your system:
- You have to search for Command Prompt in the Windows search bar, right-click on the search result, and choose Run As Administrator.
You guys will receive a User Account Control pop-up requesting your permission to permit Command Prompt to make changes to your system. Tap on Yes to give permission.
- When the Command Prompt window opens up, carefully type the following command and click on enter to execute.
- The scanning process will then take some time so sit back and let the Command Prompt do its thing. If the scan just didn’t find any corrupt system files, then you guys will see the following text:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Now just execute the below command (to repair Windows 10 image) if your computer continues in order to run slow even after running an SFC scan.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Now reboot your system to check if the error is fixed or not. Your problem must have been solved by now. However, in case you are still struggling, we also have one last trick up our sleeve.
Fix Corrupted Windows Update Database
Maybe your Windows Update Database has actually got corrupted or damaged. Hence, it will not allow installing any updates on the system. Here you guys may have to fix the Windows Update Database. In order to fix this problem, go through the given list of steps correctly:
- You have to open Command Prompt with administrative right.
- Now type the following commands in order to stop Windows Update Services and then click on Enter after each one:
1. net stop wuauserv
2. net stop cryptSvc
3. net stop bits
4. net stop msiserver
- Next, just type the following command in order to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then click on Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Finally, type the following command in order to start Windows Update Services and click on Enter after each one:
1. net start wuauserv
2. net start cryptSvc
3. net start bits
4. net start msiserver
When you have completed these steps, Windows 10 will then automatically create a folder and download the necessary elements for running Windows Update services.
Reset Windows 10 | update service was shutting down
Note: If you guys can’t access your PC then restart your PC a few times until you start Automatic Repair as well as use this guide to access Advanced Startup options. Then just navigate to Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
- Tap on Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on the Update & Security icon.
- From the left-hand menu, choose Recovery.
- Now under Reset this PC tap on the “Get Started” button.
- Choose the option in order to keep my files.
- For the next step, you guys ask to insert Windows 10 installation media. So make sure you have it ready.
- Now, choose your version of Windows and tap on only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files.
- Now tap on the Reset button.
- You have to follow the instructions on the screen to complete the reset.
If nothing works then you guys can directly download the Windows 10 ISO via the Media Creation Tool. When you have downloaded the ISO then right-click on the ISO file and select the Mount option. Next, just navigate to the mounted ISO and double-click on the setup.exe file in order to start the in-place upgrade process.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Also See: How to Get a Lost Snap Streak Back