Whenever updating Windows 10 your update might get stuck as well as you will not be able to update your Windows due to Windows Update Database Corruption Error actually. You guys will only be able to find out this error whenever running Window Update Troubleshooter. However, in some cases troubleshooter is able to fix all the issues that are related to the Windows update. However, in this specific case, it actually shows the cause as a Potential Windows Update Database error detected. But, when you click Apply to fix it won’t be able to fix this issue and returns “Not fixed” after running sometimes. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Windows Update Database Corruption Error. Let’s begin!
If you guys are not able to download new updates your PC might become vulnerable to security threats and malware as well. Thus it is really important to fix this Windows Update issue as soon as possible. And without now wasting any time let’s see how you can fix this error.
- 1 How to Fix Windows Update Database Corruption Error
- 1.1 Perform a Clean Boot and then try to Update Windows
- 1.2 Run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) | Update Database Corruption
- 1.3 Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- 1.4 Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder | Update Database Corruption
- 1.5 Run System File Checker (SFC) and Check Disk (CHKDSK)
- 1.6 Conclusion
How to Fix Windows Update Database Corruption Error
Perform a Clean Boot and then try to Update Windows
- Tap on the Windows Key + R button, and then type ‘msconfig’ and tap on OK.
- Now under the General tab, just make sure ‘Selective startup’ is checked.
- Just uncheck ‘Load startup items‘ that are under selective startup.
- Choose the Service tab and then check the box ‘Hide all Microsoft services.’
- Now tap on ‘Disable all to disable all the unnecessary services that might cause conflict.
- Then on the Startup tab, just tap on ‘Open Task Manager.’
- Now in the Startup tab (Inside Task Manager) disable all the startup items that are also enabled.
- Tap on OK and then Restart. Now again try to Update Windows and this time you guys will be able to successfully update your Windows.
- So again click on the Windows key + R button and type ‘msconfig’ and tap OK.
- On the General tab, just choose the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
- Whenever you are prompted to restart the computer, tap on Restart. This would definitely help you guys Fix Windows Update Database Corruption Error.
Run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) | Update Database Corruption
- Tap on Windows Key + X then chooses Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now enter the following command in cmd and click on enter:
Important: Whenever you DISM you guys have to have Windows Installation Media ready.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Note: Just replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows along with the location of your repair source
- Click on enter to run the above command and wait for the process to complete, most of the time, it takes 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: If the above command doesn't work then try on the below: Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
- Now after the DISM process is complete, type the following in the cmd and click on Enter: sfc /scannow
- Just let System File Checker run and once it’s complete, then restart your PC.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- You have to type “troubleshooting” in the Windows Search bar and tap on Troubleshooting.
- Then, from the left window pane just choose View all.
- Then from the Troubleshoot computer problems list just choose Windows Update.
- You have to follow on-screen instructions and let the Windows Update Troubleshoot run.
- The Troubleshooter will basically Fix Windows Update Database Corruption Error.
- Now restart your PC and again try to install the updates.
- In case the above troubleshooter doesn’t work as well as is corrupted you could manually download the Update Troubleshooter from Microsoft Website.
Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder | Update Database Corruption
- Tap on Windows Key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Then type the following commands in order to stop Windows Update Services and then click on Enter after each one:
1. net stop wuauserv
2. net stop cryptSvc
3. net stop bits
4. net stop msiserver
- Next, type the following command in order to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then click on Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- At last, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and click on Enter after each one:
1. net start wuauserv
2. net start cryptSvc
3. net start bits
4. net start msiserver
- Now reboot your PC in order to save changes.
Run System File Checker (SFC) and Check Disk (CHKDSK)
- First, tap on Windows Key + X then click on Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now just type the following in the cmd and click on enter:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
- Just wait for the above process in order to finish and once done restart your PC.
- Next, just run CHKDSK from here Fix File System Errors with Check Disk Utility(CHKDSK).
- Then let the above process complete and again reboot your PC in order to save changes.
Well, I hope you like this article and understand all the steps. However, if you still have any problems and queries related to this article. Then feel free to ask me in the comments section below. I’ll get back to you shortly.
Leave a Comment