Microsoft Teams actually has a habit of running in the background as well as launching on its own whenever you boot up your desktop. However, this helps bring you important messages from your colleagues as well as clients instantly and seamlessly. The same might, at the same time, be pretty annoying to see it popping up from time to time as well. Needless to say, you guys might also end up draining your device’s battery if Teams keeps on running in the background. Just read this article to know all about How To Turn Off Microsoft Teams. Let’s begin!
That’s why in this post we’ll also help you turn off Microsoft Teams, just avoid it from auto-starting, and then uninstalling the program off of your system entirely as well.
How To Force-Close/Turn Off Microsoft Teams
If you guys are fed up with being greeted along with messages on Teams when you guys are not required to see them. Then your best option is just to force-close the app on your machine in order to stop it from running in the background.
This procedure involves two steps; the first is just to prevent Microsoft Teams from running in the background and then the next is to four-close the app in order to stop it from running.
Close Microsoft Teams
When you have disabled the background running of Teams, then you can now proceed in order to close the program on your Windows as well as macOS PC.
You guys can close the Microsoft Teams program on Windows via simply tapping the ‘X’ button at the top right corner of the Teams window as well. If that doesn’t really work, then you can use the “Alt + F4” keyboard shortcut along with the Teams window active in order to force-close the app on Windows.
The “Alt + F4” keyboard shortcut won’t just work if the Teams screen isn’t active on Windows. In these scenarios, you can force-close the app via summoning the Task Manager on Windows. To do this, tap on the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” shortcut on your keyboard as well.
Now, choose the Microsoft Teams program from the list of active apps. And then just tap on the ‘End Task’ button at the bottom right corner of the Task Manager window. The Teams app will then shut down and will only open the next time you intentionally open it on Windows.
You guys can close the Microsoft Teams app on a Mac via tapping on the Close button at the top left corner of the app window. In case you guys can’t quit the app normally or if Teams stops responding. Then you can force-close the app via the “Command (⌘) + Q” shortcut on your keyboard as well.
You guys can also do it via going to the app’s menu in the Menu bar and tapping on the ‘Quit Microsoft Teams’ option. If none of the aforementioned steps work, then tap on the Option, Command, and Esc keys together on your keyboard. In order to bring up the Force Quit window.
In this window, just choose Microsoft Teams from the list of active apps, and then tap on the ‘Force Quit’ button at the bottom. You guys will now be asked to confirm the process is actually a new dialog. Here, tap on the ‘Force Quit’ button in order to complete the exit process.
Prevent background running
If you prefer closing Microsoft Teams along with the ‘Close’ button and don’t really want Teams. In order to run all the time on your desktop, you can then avoid it from running in the background. To do this, open the Microsoft Teams app on your desktop, tap on your profile picture at the top corner, and then just choose the ‘Settings’ option.
When the Settings popup window appears, just choose the ‘General’ tab from the left sidebar, and then uncheck the box adjacent to the ‘On close, keep the application running’ message as well. This should help you terminate the Microsoft Teams app on your Mac as well as Windows PC. Rather than minimizing the app onto the taskbar.
How to Turn off Autostart on Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams isn’t just known to run in the background, however, can also start automatically when your system boots up. You guys can however avoid the app from auto-starting via following any of the methods below.
Using Windows Settings
If Teams keeps restarting even after Autostart is now disabled inside the app, then you can just try disabling it directly from Windows Settings.
- To do this, just open Windows Settings on your Windows desktop via clicking on the Start button. And then choosing the cogwheel icon from the Start menu.
- Whenever the Windows Settings window appears, choose the Apps tile.
- Inside the Apps screen, just tap on the Startup tab from the left sidebar and then toggle the switch adjacent to Microsoft Teams on the list of apps on the right-side pane.
- This should stop Microsoft Teams from starting automatically whenever the next time you boot up Windows as well.
Using Teams Settings
- In order to switch off Autostart on Teams, just open the Microsoft Teams program on your desktop.
- Whenever the Teams window launches on your screen, tap on your profile picture at the top right corner. And choose the ‘Settings’ option in the menu that pops up.
- In the Teams Settings pop-up window, just choose the ‘General’ tab from the left sidebar. And uncheck the ‘Auto-start application’ box that is under the ‘Application’ section.
- This should stop Teams from reopening almost every time you load up your PC.
Using Windows Task Manager
- You guys can also disable Autostart for Microsoft Teams on Windows via the Windows Task Manager. For this, just open Task Manager on Windows via the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keyboard shortcut.
- Inside the Task Manager window, just tap on the ‘Startup’ tab at the top.
- Inside the Startup screen, choose Microsoft Teams from the list of apps running on your desktop. And then tap on the ‘Disable’ button at the bottom right corner of the Task Manager window.
- Teams should no longer start on your Windows desktop automatically as well.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.