If you guys are facing the error “Setup couldn’t start properly” whenever updating as well as upgrading to Windows 10. Then this is caused due to corrupt Windows Installation files from the previous Window are still on your system and it’s also conflicting with the update or upgrade process. When the error says ‘reboot your PC and try running the setup again’ also even rebooting your system doesn’t help. And then the error keeps on coming in a loop as well. So you guys have no option but to look for external help. However, don’t worry that’s what troubleshooter is actually here for, so just continue reading and you guys will find how you can fix this issue easily. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Setup couldn’t start properly in Windows. Let’s begin
It doesn’t really matter which method you select to upgrade to Windows 10 such as using Media Creation Tool. Windows DVD as well as Bootable image you guys will always receive the error “Setup couldn’t start properly, Please reboot your PC and run set up again”. In order to fix this issue, you guys have to delete Windows.old folder which contains files from your previous Windows installation as well. That might be conflicting along with the upgrade process and that’s it, you guys won’t see the error next time you try to upgrade. So let’s now see how you can fix this error along with the below troubleshooting steps.
How to Fix Setup couldn’t start properly in Windows
Boot your PC into Safe Mode
- You have to tap on Windows Key + R and then type msconfig and click on Enter to open System Configuration.
- Just switch to the boot tab and checkmark the Safe Boot option.
- Tap on Apply followed via OK.
- Now restart your PC and the system will boot into Safe Mode automatically.
- Then open File Explorer and then tap on View > Options.
- Now switch to the View tab and checkmark “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.“
- Next, you guys have to make sure to uncheck “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) as well.“
- Tap on Apply followed by OK.
- Now, navigate to the Windows folder via pressing Windows Key + R and then type C:\Windows and hit Enter.
- You have to locate the following folders and permanently delete them (Shift + Delete):
$Windows.~BT (Windows Backup Files)
$Windows.~WS (Windows Server Files)
Note: You guys may not able to delete the above folders and then just simply rename them.
- Now, head back to the C: drive and make sure to delete the Windows.old folder.
- Next, if you guys have normally delete these folders and then make sure to empty recycle bin.
- Again just open System Configuration and uncheck the Safe Boot option.
- Just reboot your PC to save changes and again try to update or upgrade your Windows.
- Now download the Media Creation Tool when again and proceed along with the installation process.
Run Disk Cleanup and Error Checking | Setup couldn’t start properly
- Head to This PC or My PC and right-click on the C: drive to choose Properties.
- Now from the Properties window and then tap on Disk Cleanup under capacity.
- It will actually take some time in order to calculate how much space Disk Cleanup will be able to free as well.
- Now tap on Clean up system files in the bottom under Description.
- In the next window that basically opens make sure to choose everything under Files to delete and then tap on OK to run Disk Cleanup.
Note: We are actually looking for “Previous Windows Installation(s)” and “Temporary Windows Installation files”. If available, then just make sure they are checked.
- Just let the Disk Cleanup complete and then again head to the properties windows and now choose the Tools tab.
- Now, click on Check under Error-checking.
- Just follow the on-screen instruction in order to finish error checking.
- Just restart your PC to save changes. Again try to run setup and then this may be able to Fix Setup couldn’t start properly error.
Run Startup/Automatic Repair | Setup couldn’t start properly
- You need to insert the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD and then restart your PC.
- Whenever prompted to tap on any key to boot from CD or DVD, and press any key to continue.
- Choose your language preferences, and click Next. Tap on Repair your PC in the bottom-left.
- Now on choose an option screen, tap on Troubleshoot.
- On Troubleshoot screen, then tap onAdvanced option.
- On the Advanced options screen, you just have to click on Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- Now, wait till the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs are complete.
- Just restart and you guys have successfully Fix Setup couldn’t start properly error.
Run Setup.exe directly
- You have to make sure to run the upgrade process, let it fail once actually.
- Now after that, just make sure you can view hidden files if not, and then repeat the previous step.
- Now you have to navigate to the following folder: C:\ESD\setup.exe
- Just double-click on setup.exe in order to run and continue along with the update or upgrade process without any problems. This actually seems to Fix Setup couldn’t start properly error.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Also See: How Can You Play Pokémon Go On PC
Leave a Comment