If you guys share your PC along with other family members or along with your friends. Then keeping your data secure as well as private is really important. To do this, you guys can easily use the Windows in-built Encrypting File System (EFS) in order to encrypt your data in files and folders securely. However, the only problem, it isn’t available for Windows Home Edition users, and you have to upgrade to Pro, Enterprise, as well as Education editions to use this feature. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Encrypt Contents to Secure Data Greyed Out.
In order to encrypt any files or folders inside Windows, you just simply have to right-click on the desired file or folder and then choose Properties from the context menu. Inside the Properties window, tap on the Advanced button under the General tab. Then just in the Advanced Attributes window checkmark “Encrypt contents to secure data“. Tap on OK to save changes, and then your files or folders will be securely encrypted.
However, what is the option to Encrypt files or folders which is “Encrypt contents to secure data” is greyed out or disabled? Well, then you guys won’t be able to encrypt files or folders in Windows and all your data will also be visible to anyone who has access to your system as well. So without even wasting any time let’s now see How to Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out In Windows 10 along with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
How to Fix Encrypt Contents to Secure Data Greyed Out
- Just open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step via searching for ‘cmd’ and then clicking on Enter.
- Then type the following command into cmd and click Enter:
fsutil behaviour set disableencryption 0
- Then reboot your PC in order to save changes.
- When the system restart, the encryption option in the Advanced Attribute window will now be available.
Using Registry | Secure Data Greyed Out
- Tap on Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter in order to open Registry Editor.
- Just navigate to the following registry location:
- You have to make sure to select FileSystem and then in right window pane double-tap on NtfsDisableEncryption DWORD.
- You will find that the value of the NtfsDisableEncryption DWORD would also be set to 1.
- Just modify its value to 0 and tap OK.
- Now close Registry Editor and reboot your PC to save changes.
- Whenever the system reboot, again right-click on the file as well as the folder you guys want to encrypt and then select Properties.
- Now under the General tab tap on the Advanced button at the bottom.
- Then, in the Advanced Attributes window, you guys will be able to checkmark “Encrypt contents to secure data“.
You now have successfully Fix Encrypt Contents To Secure Data Grayed Out In Windows 10. However, if you can’t use this method for some reason as well as don’t want to mess with Registry. Then follow the next method.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!