So, the main cause of the error 0xc000000f is when BOOTMGR can’t really find BCD (Boot Configuration Database) information on the hard disk actually. The BCD information might be corrupted as well as missing from the hard disk in order to fix this issue in windows. You need to repair or rebuild BCD. Also, many times this error is caused because of system files being compromised or corrupted. And one more reason for this error in order to show up may be due to loss of faulty HDD cable. Just read this article to know all about An Error that Occurred While Attempting to Read the Boot Configuration Data. Let’s start!
Restarting your PC will not really help in this case since you will again see the error message screen. In short, you will actually be stuck into an infinite reboot loop. Now you guys know why this error occurs, so without even wasting any time let’s now see how you can actually Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data along with the below troubleshooting steps.
- 1 How to Fix An Error Occurred While Attempting to Read the Boot Configuration Data
How to Fix An Error Occurred While Attempting to Read the Boot Configuration Data
Repair or Rebuild BCD
- So, using the above method open command prompt via Windows installation disk.
- Then just type the following commands one by one and click on enter after each one:
a) bootrec.exe /FixMbr b) bootrec.exe /FixBoot c) bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- Now if the above command fails then enter the following commands in cmd:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd
- At last, exit the cmd and restart your Windows.
- Now, this method seems to Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred wherever attempting to read the boot configuration data however if it doesn’t even work for you and then continue.
Run Automatic/Startup Repair | Read the Boot Configuration
- You have to insert the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD or Recovery Disc and then restart your PC.
- Whenever prompted to Press any key in order to boot from CD or DVD, press any key to continue.
- Choose your language preferences, and tap on Next. Tap on Repair your computer in the bottom-left.
- So, on choosing an option screen, just tap on Troubleshoot.
- On Troubleshoot screen, just tap on the Advanced option.
- Then, on the Advanced options screen, tap on Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- You have to wait till the Windows Automatic or Startup Repairs are complete.
- Just restart and you have successfully Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data, if not, then just continue.
Restore your PC to an earlier working time
- You have to put in the Windows installation media as well as Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc and choose your language preferences, and tap on Next
- Tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
- Then, choose Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options.
- At last, click on “System Restore” and follow on-screen instructions in order to complete the restore.
- Now just restart your PC in order to save changes.
Run SFC and CHKDSK
- Again just head to the command prompt using method 1, just tap on the command prompt in the Advanced options screen.
- Now type the following command in cmd and click on enter after each one:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note: Make sure you guys use the drive letter where Windows currently installs. Also in the above command C: is basically the drive on which we also want to run check disk, /f stands for a flag actually. That chkdsk the permission in order to fix any errors associated along with the drive /r. That let chkdsk search for bad sectors and ALSO perform recovery and /x instructs the check disk. In order to dismount the drive before beginning the process.
- Now just exit the command prompt and restart your PC.
When this command is used, the main partition then generates the error “The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt”. However, the good thing is that it actually repairs the second partition as well.
Check for loose or faulty HDD cable | Read the Boot Configuration
In most of the cases, this error occurs due to the faulty or loose connection of the hard disk. And in order to make sure that this is not the case where you have to check your PC for any type of fault in the connection as well.
Important: It is not really recommended to open the casing of your PC if it’s under warranty since it will void your warranty, a better approach. So, in this case, will actually be taking your PC to the service center. Also, if you guys don’t have any technical knowledge then just don’t mess with the PC. And also make sure to look for an expert technician that can also help you in checking for faulty as well as lose connection of hard disk.
When you guys have checked the proper connection of the hard disk is established, then just reboot your PC. And this time you guys may be able to Fix 0xc000000f: An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data actually.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment