PlayStation 4 or PS4 is basically an eighth-generation home video game console developed via Sony Interactive Entertainment. Its first version was released in 2013 and its latest version, PS4 Pro, is actually capable of handling the latest games in the 4K resolution at faster frame rates. Nowadays, the PS4 is also trending and competing with Microsoft’s Xbox One. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix PS4 Running Slow and Freezing – Tutorial. Let’s begin!
Although PS4 is a really strong and smart device, many issues can occur that can be annoying especially whenever they occur in the middle of a game. Out of the many issues, freezing and lagging are basically the common ones. This involves console freezing and shutting down during the gameplay, also console freezing during the installation, game lagging, as well.
There are a lot of reasons behind this, some of these are below.
- The faulty hard-disk drives,
- No space in the hard disk,
- A slow internet connection,
- Faulty hardware or an outdated firmware,
- Firmware bugs and issues,
- Poor ventilation,
- A crowded or clogged cache,
- A cluttered or malfunctioned database,
- Overheating, and
- A software glitch.
Whatever be the reason(s) behind the freezing or lagging of the PlayStation 4 as well, then there is always a way in order to fix any issue. If you guys are looking for such solutions, then keep on reading this article.
- 1 How to Fix PS4 Running Slow and Freezing – Tutorial
- 1.1 Checking the Hard Drive | ps4 running slow and freezing
- 1.2 Free up the disk space
- 1.3 Rebuild the PS4 database | ps4 running slow and freezing
- 1.4 Update the PS4 applications and the PS4 itself
- 1.5 Check the internet connection | ps4 running slow and freezing
- 1.6 Call the customer support of the PS4
- 1.7 Initialize the PS4
- 1.8 Conclusion
How to Fix PS4 Running Slow and Freezing – Tutorial
The freezing and Lagging of the PlayStation 4 can cause via any hardware or software issue. Before trying any method, first of all, just restart your PS4 console to refresh it. In order to restart the PS4, just follow these steps.
- On your PS4 controller, tap and hold the power button. The following screen will then appear.
- Tap on Turn Off PS4.
- Now unplug the power cable of the PS4 whenever the light goes off on the console.
- Now, wait for around 10 seconds.
- Plug the power cable back in the PS4 and tap on the PS button on your controller in order to turn on PS4.
- Then, try to play games. It may run smoothly without even any freezing and lagging issues.
If the above method does not work, then just follow the below methods to fix your issue.
Checking the Hard Drive | ps4 running slow and freezing
You guys may be facing the freezing and lagging issue in your PS4 because of a faulty hard drive as a faulty drive can slow down the system. So, it is always advise to check your hard drive as well. The hard drive may be facing problems if you guys hear any unusual noise or face any unusual behavior in or around the hard drive bay as well. It is also possible that the hard drive is just not securely attached to your PS4. If you guys face any such unusual behavior, then it is advised to change your hard drive.
In order to check if the hard drive is securely attach to the PS4 or there is any physical damage to it and in order to change the hard drive, then follow these steps.
- Turn off the PS4 completely via pressing the power button and holding it for at least 7 seconds till you hear two beep sounds. That will confirm that the PS4 is turn off completely as well.
- Disconnect the power cable and all the other cables, if there are any, then attached them to the console.
- Now pull the hard drive out and away, towards the left of the system, in order to delete it.
- Check if the hard disk is properly set on its bay cover and properly screwed to the board as well.
- If you find any physical damage to the hard disk and you have to change it. Then take off the screw from the board and also replace the old hard disk with a new one.
Note: Removing the hard disk bay or changing the hard disk also involves taking apart the device. So, you guys have to be cautious. Also, after changing the hard disk, you have to install new system software on this new hard disk.
After completing the above steps, then just check if the PS4 is freezing or lagging.
Free up the disk space
It is possible that your PS4 is facing freezing and lagging issues due to no or very little space left in the hard disk. Little or no space creates small or no room for the system in order to operate properly and cause it to slow down. With freeing up some space in your hard disk, the speed of the system will improve, and hence, the PS4 will not face any freezing and lagging issues again as well.
In order to free up some space in your hard disk, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Settings from the main screen of the PS4 as well.
- Now under the settings, then tap on System Storage Management.
- A screen along with four categories: Applications, Capture Gallery, Application Saved Data, Themes along with space these categories have occupied in your hard disk will appear as well.
- Choose the category you need to delete.
- When the category is selected, tap on the Options button on your controller.
- Tap on the Delete option from the menu that appears.
Note: It is advised to delete the Application Saved Data as well as it may also contain some corrupted data.
After completing the above steps, you guys may have some space in your system, and also the freezing and lagging issue of PS4 may be fixed as well.
Rebuild the PS4 database | ps4 running slow and freezing
The PS4 database gets clogged over time that makes it inefficient and slow. Also, with time, whenever the data storage increases, the database gets corrupted as well. In that case, you may have to rebuild the PS4 database as this will significantly increase the console’s performance and also will definitely decrease the lagging and freezing issue.
Note: Rebuilding the database may take a long time relying on the PS4 type and data storage.
In order to rebuild the PS4 database, follow these steps:
- First, turn off the PS4 completely via pressing and holding the power button for at least 7 seconds until you hear two beep sounds.
- Boot the PS4 in the safe mode through pressing and holding the power button for about 7 seconds until you guys hear the second beep.
- Just connect your DualShock 4 controller via a USB cable to the PS4. Because the Bluetooth remains inactive in the safe.
- Tap on the PS button on the controller.
- Now, you will enter into the safe mode a screen along with 8 options will appear.
- Tap on the Rebuild Database option.
- A rebuilt database will also scan the drive and will create a database for all the contents of the drive.
- Just wait for the rebuilding process to complete.
After the rebuilding process is complete, just try to use the PS4 again and check if the freezing and lagging issues are fixed or not.
Update the PS4 applications and the PS4 itself
The PS4 may be freezing and lagging due to not being updated to the latest version. So, with updating the PS4 applications and installing the latest version of PS4, the problem may also be fixed.
In order to update the PS4 applications, follow these steps:
- On the PS4 home screen, just highlight the application that needs to update.
- Tap on the Options button on your controller.
- Click on Check for Updates from the menu that appears as well.
- You have to follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the updates available for that application.
- When all the updates are installed, then just restart your PS4.
- Just like that, update the other PS4 applications.
In order to update the PS4 to its latest version, follow these steps:
- Take a USB stick having at least 400MB of free space and also should be properly
- Inside the USB, create a folder along with the name PS4 and then a subfolder with the name UPDATE.
- Just download the latest PS4 update from the given link: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/
- When the updates are download, copy the download update in the UPDATE folder just create in the USB.
- Shut down the console.
- Now, insert the USB stick into one of the PS4’s forward-facing USB ports as well.
- Tap on the power button and hold it for at least 7 seconds to enter into the safe m
- In the safe mode, you guys will see a screen with 8 options.
- Tap on the Update System Software.
- Just complete the further process via following the on-screen instructions. When the process is completed, restart the PS4.
After completing the above steps, then just check if the PS4 is lagging and freezing or not.
Check the internet connection | ps4 running slow and freezing
PS4 is actually an online game. So, if you have a slow internet connection, then it will definitely freeze and lag. In order to run the PS4 smoothly along with the best gaming experience. You need to have a very good internet connection as well. So, with checking the internet connection, you guys may get to know if the internet is the reason behind the freezing and lagging of your PS4 as well.
In order to check the internet connection, perform these steps.
- If you are using Wi-Fi, restart your Wi-Fi router and also the modem and check if it is working now.
- In order to increase the performance of the Wi-Fi, buy a Wi-Fi signal booster and move the PS4 console towards the router.
- Connect your PS4 to the ethernet rather than the Wi-Fi to have a better network speed. In order to connect the PS4 to the ethernet, just follow these steps:
- Just connect your PS4 to the LAN cable.
- Now navigate to the Settings from the main screen of PS4.
- Under the settings, tap on Network.
- Now under the network, click on Set Up Internet Connection.
- Under it, you will find two options in order to connect to the internet. Just choose the Use a LAN Cable.
- After that, a new screen will also appear. Choose Custom and enter the network information from your ISP.
- Tap on the Next.
- Under the proxy server, just choose the Do Not Use.
- Wait for the changes in order to update.
Whenever you see that the internet settings are updated on your screen. Then again try to use the PS4 and check if it is now working fine.
- Set up port forwarding on your modem router to have a better internet connection actually. You can set up port forwarding via following these steps:
- First of all, you have to check the IP address, username, and password of your wireless router.
- Open any browser and type the wireless router IP address in it and click on the enter button.
- The below screen will also appear. Type the username and password and then tap on the Login
- Look for the port forwarding settings in the forward port section as well.
- When you enter into the port forwarding settings, enter the IP address of your PS4. That you can get via navigating to the below path on your PS4:
Settings -> Network -> View Connection status
- Now add UDP and TCP custom forwarding ports for the following numbers: 80, 443, 1935, 3478, 3479, 3480.
- You have to use NAT Type 2 instead of 1.
- Now apply the changes.
Now, try to use the PS4 and then see if its performance has improve now and your freezing and lagging issue is fix or not.
Call the customer support of the PS4
After you try all the above methods if the freezing and lagging issue of your PS4 still persists. There are chances that the problem is along with the hardware and you may have to change or repair it. To do that, you have to contact the customer support of the PS4. They will also help you in replacing or repairing the faulty PS4 so that your issue will fix.
Note: Here are a few additional measures you guys can look into to make sure your PS4 doesn’t freeze or lag.
- If you guys are facing the freezing issue with the game disc, contact the retailer you bought it from.
- Give enough ventilation for the system.
- Just rebooting the system mostly works.
Initialize the PS4
In order to initialize the PS4, then follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Settings from the main screen of the PS4 actually.
- Now under the settings, click on Initialization.
- Under the initialization, tap on Initialize PS4.
- You guys will see two options: Quick and Full. Choose the Full.
- You have to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- After the initialization process, just restore all your backup data and reinstall all the games and applications.
After completing the above steps, you can use the PS4 again and check if the freezing and lagging issues are fixed or not.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this “ps4 running slow and freezing” article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Also See: How to Reset Your Airpods Pro – Tutorial