If you guys want to capture your desktop screen then what better way than to use the Print Screen. In order to do that just tap on the print screen button on your keyboard. (That is typically situated in the same section as the broken key as well as scroll lock key) and this will also capture the screenshot of your clipboard. Now you guys can paste this screenshot into any application such as Microsoft Paint, Photoshop, as well. However, what actually happens if the Print Screen function suddenly stops working. Well, this is actually what many of the users are facing, however, before diving into that, let’s now learn more about the Print Screen. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Print Screen Not Working in Windows 10. Let’s start!
- 1 What is Print Screen and its uses?
- 2 How to Fix Print Screen Not Working in Windows 10
What is Print Screen and its uses?
Basically, Print Screen saves a bitmap image of the current screen as well as a screenshot to the Windows clipboard. Whenever pressing the Alt key in combination along with Print Screen (Prt Sc) will also capture the currently selected window. This image then can also be saved by using the paint as well as any other editing application. Another use of the Prt Sc key is that whenever pressing in combination along with both the left Alt and left Shift key will actually turn on a high contrast mode.
Along with the introduction of Windows 8 (also in Windows 10). You can tap on Windows Key in combination along with the Prt Sc key will also capture the screenshot. And also saved this image to the disk (the default picture location). Print screen is most of the time abbreviated as:
Print Scrn Prnt Scrn Prt Scrn Prt Scn Prt Scr Prt Sc Pr Sc
How to Fix Print Screen Not Working in Windows 10
Now before making any changes to your system, then just make sure to create a restore point. Just in case something goes wrong, you will be able to restore your system to an earlier configuration whenever almost everything was working correctly.
So if you guys are not able to take screenshots in Windows 10 or the Print Screen key is not even working. Then just do not worry as today we are going to see how you guys can fix this issue. If the print screen does not even work then you have to try Windows Key + PrtSc key and if this also doesn’t really worry then don’t panic. So without even wasting any time let’s see the resolved Print Screen not working issue along with the help of the below troubleshooting guide.
Note: First, you have to try to use the print screen key again, now just simply press the Print Screen key (PrtSc). Then open Paint and press Ctrl + V in order to paste the captures screenshot, does it actually work? If it didn’t then sometimes you have to use the function key in addition to the print screen key. So tap on Fn + PrtSc and see if this works. If it didn’t then continue along with the below fixes.
Turn off the F Lock or F Mode
See if you guys have an F Mode key or an F Lock key on your keyboard. As such keys will avoid you from taking screenshots, hence disabling the print screen key. So tap on the F Mode or F Lock key and then again try to use the Print Screen Key.
Stop Background programs
- Tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together in order to open Task Manager.
- Then find the following programs and then right-click on each of them and choose “End Task“:
- When finished close Task Manager and also check if you’re able to fix Print Screen not working issue.
Update your keyboard driver
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type “devmgmt.msc” and click on Enter in order to open Device Manager.
- Now just expand Keyboard then right-click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and choose Update Driver.
- First, you need to choose Search automatically for updated driver software and then wait for Windows to automatically install the latest driver.
- Now reboot your PC and see if you guys are able to fix the issue, if not then continue.
- Again head back to Device Manager and right-tap on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and you need to choose Update Driver.
- This time, just choose “Browse my computer for driver software.”
- Now on the next screen tap on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.”
- Choose the latest drivers from the list and tap on Next.
- Just reboot your PC to save changes and see if you guys are able to fix the Print Screen not working in Windows 10 issue, if not then just continue along with the next method.
Make sure Windows is up to date
- You have to tap on Windows Key + I in order to open Settings and then tap on the Update & Security icon.
- Then under Update status and then tap on “Check for updates.”
- If an update is actually found for your PC, install the update and then reboot your PC.
Perform a Clean Boot
Many times 3rd party software can actually conflict with the keyboard. And it can also cause the print screen key to not work correctly. In order to fix the issue, you have to perform a clean boot on your PC and then try to use the Print Screen key in order to take a screenshot.
Use the Snipping Tool
If you guys still failed to take a screenshot via pressing the Print Screen key and then you should try to use Snipping Tool in Windows 10. In the Windows Search type snipping and then just tap on the “Snipping Tool” from the search result.
Well, this in-built tool in Windows gives a great way to take a screenshot of the portion of the currently active window as well as the entire screen.
Configure Alternate Hotkeys for the Print Screen key
- Now navigate to this website and then just download the ScreenPrint Platinum.
- You have to install the program then open the ScreenPrint Platinum program.
- Now tap on Setup from the ScreenPrint Platinum menu and then choose ScreenPrint.
- Now tap on the Hotkeys button at the bottom of the Configuration window as well.
- Next, just checkmark “Enable Hotkeys” and then under Global Capture Hotkey, Now choose any character from the dropdown such as P.
- Just like that, under Global Capture Hotkey checkmark Ctrl and Alt.
- At last, click on the Save button and this will basically assign the Ctrl + Alt + P keys in order to substitute for the Print Screen key.
- Tap on Ctrl + Alt + P keys together in order to capture the screenshot then just paste it inside Paint.
Although it didn’t even actually fix Print Screen not working issue. It’s a really great alternative till you guys finally found a proper fix for it. However, if you don’t want to use a third-party app and then you could also use the Windows in-built Snipping Tool as well.
Check Your OneDrive Settings
If you guys use OneDrive on your PC, then you have to check if OneDrive is why your Print Screen key is not working. It’s a really common problem among users who use Microsoft’s cloud storage service in order to back up their files. You guys can do this from OneDrive’s settings. Right-tap on the OneDrive icon from the bottom right part of your taskbar and then tap on Settings. Next, just switch to the Backup tab.
Now under the Screenshots section, you’ll guys also see a check box that basically reads, “Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive.” You have to make sure that this box is checked. If the box is already checked, then you can uncheck and check it again. Now, you need to verify if this solves the problem actually.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Also See: How to Use Memoji Stickers on WhatsApp