Failed To Play Test Tone error is basically caused via corrupted or outdated drivers, invalid sound configurations as well. This error basically indicates that there is an underlying problem between your sound hardware and also software as well. Users also have seemed to face this issue in Microsoft operating system as well as having no sound at all is a major issue that needs to be fixed immediately. So without even wasting any time let’s now see how you can fix this issue. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Failed to Play Test Tone Error. Let’s start!
- 1 How to Fix Failed to Play Test Tone Error
- 1.1 Run System File Checker (SFC) and Check Disk (CHKDSK)
- 1.2 Install the High Definition Audio Device driver | Play Test Tone Error
- 1.3 Restart Windows Audio Service
- 1.4 Disable all enhancements
- 1.5 Change the Sample Rate | Play Test Tone Error
- 1.6 Add the Local Service in the Local Users and Groups
- 1.7 System Restore
- 1.8 Conclusion
How to Fix Failed to Play Test Tone Error
It’s actually recommended to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Run System File Checker (SFC) and Check Disk (CHKDSK)
- Tap on Windows Key + X and then click on Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now, you have to type the following in the cmd and click on enter:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
- Now wait for the above process in order to finish and when done restart your PC.
- Then just run CHKDSK
- Now let the above process complete and then again reboot your PC in order to save changes.
See if you guys are able to Fix Failed to Play Test Tone Error, and if not then just continue along with the next method.
Install the High Definition Audio Device driver | Play Test Tone Error
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type ‘Devmgmt.msc’ and click on enter to open Device Manager.
- Just expand Sound, video, and game controllers and right-tap on your Audio Driver then choose Update Driver Software.
- Now choose “Search automatically for updated driver software” and then let the process finish as well.
- Well, if it wasn’t able to update your graphic card then again choose Update Driver Software.
- This time, you guys have to select “Browse my computer for driver software.“
- Next, choose “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. as well“
- Just choose the appropriate driver from the list and then tap on Next.
- Now let the process complete and then restart your PC.
- Just like that, go to your manufacturer’s website and then download the latest drivers.
After installing the latest drivers, then check if you guys are able to Fix Failed to Play Test Tone Error.
Restart Windows Audio Service
- Click on Windows Key + R and then type “services.msc” (without quotes) and just click on enter.
- You have to find ‘Windows Audio‘ and then right-tap on it and choose Restart.
- Now close the Services window and then restart your PC in order to save changes.
Disable all enhancements
- Right-tap on the Speaker icon in Taskbar and then choose Sound.
- Now, from the Playback tab, you have to right-click on Speakers and choose Properties.
- Then switch to the Enhancements tab and just tick mark the option ‘Disable all enhancements.’
- Tap on Apply followed via OK and then restart your PC in order to save changes.
Change the Sample Rate | Play Test Tone Error
- First, right-click on the Speaker icon in Taskbar and choose Playback devices.
- In the Playback tab, just choose Speakers and click Properties.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and then change the sample rate to 16 bit, 48000 Hz.
- Tap on Apply followed via OK.
- If the sample rate is not set via default, tap on Restore Defaults and then test if the sound’s back.
Add the Local Service in the Local Users and Groups
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type “compmgmt.msc” (without even quotes) and click on enter to open Computer Management.
- Next, just expand System Tools then Local Users and Groups, and select Groups.
- Right-tap on Administrators in the list in the right window pane and then select Add to Group.
- Tap on Add, then Advanced, and then tap Find Now. Double click Local Service, and tap on OK. You guys should see
NT Authority\Local Service in the list, tap on OK.
- Now close the Computer Management window and then reboot your device. Your problem should be solved as well.
Whenever none of the above methods works in resolving the error and then System Restore can definitely help you in fixing this error as well. So without even wasting any further time run system restore in order to Fix Failed to Play Test Tone Error.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!