If you guys are facing this error then this means you are not able to save as well as modify files and folders on your PC. The main cause of this error actually seems to be hard disk was formatted in an earlier version of the Windows NTFS file system. And since then you guys have not formatted the disk. Anyway, now you can’t really possibly format the whole hard disk. So we have also found alternative solutions that seem to fix this issue. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix You don’t have permission to save in this location. Let’s start!
This error actually comes out of nowhere whenever working on your PC you may encounter the error saying:
You don’t have permission to save in this location.
Contact the Administrator to obtain permission.
Would you like to save in the public pictures folder instead?
Yes or No.
Whenever you try to save a file to a hard disk as well as to a flash drive you will receive the above error. And it’s literally really annoying not being able to save a file on the desired location on your own PC. Even now taking Ownership of the files doesn’t seem to assist much actually.
How to Fix You don’t have permission to save in this location
- First of all, just navigate to C: drive and then right-tap and select Properties.
- Now head towards the Security tab and tap on the Edit button.
- Just make sure first to check Full control for home users and Administrators.
- Tap on Apply followed by OK.
- Again right-tap on C: drive and choose Properties.
- 6Just switch to the Security tab and then tap on Advanced.
- Now in the Advanced Security Settings window just tap on Change permissions.
- Choose the user account which is providing this problem and then tap on Edit.
- You have to make sure to choose “Full Control” under Basic permissions and then tap on OK.
- Then tap on Apply followed via OK.
- Just close everything and then reboot your PC in order to save changes.
This step seems in order to Fix you don’t have permission to save in this location. However, if this doesn’t work for you then just don’t worry we have a workaround that will also let you save the file at your desired location.
Give Administrative Permissions in Group Membership | permission to save
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type “netplwiz” (without quote) and click on Enter to open User Account Settings.
- From the list of user accounts then choose the one which is giving the error.
- Now, after-Highlighting the user clicks Properties.
- Then in the new window that opens, just switch to the Group Membership tab.
- You guys will see three options there namely: Standard, Administrator, and many others. Make sure to choose the checkbox next to Administrator and tap on Apply followed via OK.
- This will give you complete access in order to save or modify all the files and folders along with the Administrator’s permission.
- You have to close everything and this would Fix you don’t have permission to save in this location, so now again try to save the file.
Workaround | permission to save
If you guys don’t want to try any complex method listed above then you can just simply try this workaround. That will also let you guys save the file in any location you want as well.
Right-tap on the shortcut that starts the program and then just taps on Run as Administrator in order to start the program. When you are done along with the program, just save the file to the desired location and this time you guys will be able to do this successfully now.
Format the drive as NTFS
At first, make sure not to format the drive containing Windows as it will immediately remove every and each thing from the drive.
- First open Windows File Explorer by clicking on the Windows Key + E and navigating to this Computer.
- Here choose the drive which is already encountering the issue and then right-click select Format.
Note: However, Make sure you don’t select Local Disk (C:) as this already has theWindows.
- After this, choose NTFS (default) file system from the given list.
- Then tap to pick the Quick Format check box and then tap on the Start option.
- Now shut every and each thing and again try to save the file on the location you wanted.
If you guys are still facing the problem even after trying all of the methods that are already shown up above then you just need to format your whole disk using The NTFS (default) file system and then install Windows for fixing the issue permanently.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment