Notification Management: Android as an operating system and it has become the most used mobile operating system in the world. Google includes some useful features into the Android operating systems such as:
- Custom DNS over TLS
- Auto-fill for usernames and passwords
- Notification channels, app permissions
- DND mode
- Native dark mode (with Android Q)
- and much more
I think the most underestimate feature in Android is the notification categories or notification channels.
Google’s developer team has done a good job. They are launching notification channels with Android 8.0 Oreo. While Android also launch notifications into Android a long time ago and does not have a system-wide disable option for it yet. We do have some great notification management systems introduced in 8.0 Oreo and 9.0 Pie.
- 1 Notification Management:
- 2 How to disable pop-up notifications? (Heads-up notifications)
- 3 Disable app notifications completely
- 4 Hibernate apps using Greenify to see a notification only when you open it
- 5 Manage SMS Notifications using Android Messages
While notification channels are a great feature. Many Android users don’t know how to make full use of it. With notification channels, you get full control over every notification of each app. You can also disable a particular channel while keeping the functionality of other channels intact.
For instance, a simple messaging app like WhatsApp has multiple notification channels including private chats, group chats, media playback, backup notification, calls, critical app alerts, and much more. You can disable a specific category such as backup. You can also change the notification mode to silent, pop-up, vibrate, or disable entirely without hampering the functionality of the app.
Here is an example of notification channels:
Here are some easy tricks that help you in making Android experience even better. See how to manage notifications on your Android phones.
How to disable pop-up notifications? (Heads-up notifications)
In notification management, pop-up notification play an important role. If you hate the pop-up notifications then you have come to the right place. Here you’ll learn how to disable the popup notifications. You can change the mode of the notification to sound or silent. Don’t worry, it can’t disable all the notification. Neither will this erase notifications from the notification panel. You can still hear the notification sound, the led light will blink, and it can be accessed or replied from the notification panel. It can’t pop up on screen over other apps.
I disable heads up notifications because I get a lot of notifications throughout the day. So I don’t like texts while I am watching a video, playing the game, or just scrolling through apps or reading articles.
Here is an example of heads up or pop up notification:
Is it irritating? Well, without wasting time, let’s see how to disable this popup notification.
Note: Make sure for Android 8.0 Oreo or above, you can disable the heads up notification throughout the system for every app at once. Check our guide for Android 9 Pie or later, proceed with the following.
- Got to the settings app.
- Scroll down and choose Notifications or Apps and Notifications option. It may vary depending on your Android device.
- Now look for the app you want. For instance, we have selected WhatsApp.
- You’ll see all the notification categories there.
- We will choose the first category here called Notification style.
- Choose the model you prefer. Here we have selected Sound only.
- This will disable the popups you get from the app.
- You can play around with it until you find something you are looking for specifically.
Disable app notifications completely
If you don’t like a specific app or don’t want to see the notifications from it then you can block or silent the app completely. Here is how to do it.
- Long press the app icon for which you want the notifications gone.
- Choose app info.
- If no such option is available on your Android phone, then see the above method.
- Select notifications option
- Now switch the toggle for ‘show notifications’ to off.
- This will disable all the notifications of the specific app until you toggle it on.
- You can also long-press the notification from the notification panel and toggle notifications off from there easily.
Hibernate apps using Greenify to see a notification only when you open it
Greenify is an amazing and beautiful app. It is free to use. I recommended it for all Android users for extending battery life by hibernating background running apps. However, here is another use case for the app.
You can use Greenify to hibernate the least important apps. So you can see all the notifications at once whenever you open the specific app later.
Manage SMS Notifications using Android Messages
Android Messages from Google is the best SMS app on the Play Store. The latest version supports notification channels and categories. So you can easily block every SMS service provider without a number. Not only this but it also has an automated spam checker so SMS gets filtered out. You can also block each contact or SMS service permanently from the settings.
Hopefully! You understand every trick very carefully. But if you still find any difficulty then let us know in the comment section below.
Till then! Keep Smiling 😍