A lot of people upgrade computers each and every few years and so there is a requirement in order to transfer email between computers. In this tutorial, we look at how you guys can move email and contacts on windows live mail (WLM) from an old PC to a new computer. Whenever moving Windows live mail the procedure is actually really simple as Windows live mail saves all of the emails, and also email settings in a single folder. Just read this article to know all about How to Move Windows Live Mail to New Computer. Let’s begin!
Through copying this folder to a new installation of windows live mail you can move all the email and also email settings in just one go.
Note! -You still have to export and import the contacts.
How to Move Windows Live Mail to New Computer
Requirements For Transfer
- Both computers must have Windows live mail installed as well.
The Windows Live Mail folder location should be:
“C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail”
You will have to adjust this path to match your windows user name e.g. steve in this example actually
- You have to export Windows Live Mail Contacts to a .csv file on a USB stick.
- Just copy the Windows Live Mail folder from the Old Computer to a USB drive or also across the network.
- Just locate the Windows Live Mail folder 0n the New Computer
- Remove the existing Windows Live Mail folder 0n the New PC
- You can paste the copied folder from the old PC into the same location on the New Computer
- Also, import Contacts from .csv file into WLM on New Computer as well
The video below takes you via copying the folders to move the email and also email settings it does not cover the contacts.
Export and Import Contacts (WLM) | move windows live mail
- First of all, open Windows Live Mail and click contacts in the lower-left pane
- The contacts folder opens showing your contacts. Tap on the down arrow in the export icon in the upper menu bar as well.
- Choose the fields and a destination file location and also name to export the file.
- Then transfer the file to the new computer, just open WLM, choose contacts, and import.
- Just choose the .csv option for the import and import the contacts.
- The contacts are then saved in the windows live folder under contacts and not in the WLM folder.
- The Windows Live Mail then Contacts location is “C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contactsl”
Note: Rather than doing the export/import you could copy this folder from the old PC, and replace the one on the new computer as well.
Transfer Mail Manually | move windows live mail
- You can create a new folder on your old computer so that Windows Live Mail has a place in order to export your mail. For instance, to create a new, also empty folder on the desktop, tap on “Ctrl-E” to open File Explorer. Click on “Desktop” under the Favorites heading. Press the “Home” tab and choose “New folder.”
- Then just open Windows Live Mail, click the “File” menu, and choose “Export email” and then tap on “Email messages.”
- Select “Microsoft Windows Live Mail” whenever the file format, and tap on “Next,” and then “Browse” and choose the desktop folder you created earlier.
- Now click “Next,” select all of the email folders you want to export, and tap on “Next” again. In order to initiate the file export process. Tap “Finish” whenever the export process is complete.
- now connect a USB key or external hard drive to your PC. Open File Explorer again and also drag and drop your exported email folder from the desktop onto the USB key or hard drive as well. Now eject the device when the files are copied, and then connect the USB key or also hard drive to your new computer.
- Launch Windows Live Mail on your new PC, then tap on “File” and select “Import messages.“
- Choose “Windows Live Mail” on the list of file formats, and also tap on “Next,” then “Browse” and choose the folder on your USB key or also hard drive containing your exported emails.
- Just tap on “Next” and then click “Finish” in order to complete the transfer of your Windows Live Mail messages onto your new PC.
What happens to the old installation and can I still use it?
A- Nothing happens to it, and it is still usable as well.
Can I access my email via Windows live mail on two computers?
A- Yes giving the email accounts are via IMAP4 then you can also access using as many email clients as you want.
Do I have to create the email accounts on the new computer?
A- No if you guys do they will be overridden whenever you copy over the WLM folder as well.
Well, I hope you like this article and understand all the steps. However, if you still have any problems and queries related to this article. Then feel free to ask me in the comments section below. I’ll get back to you shortly.