Well, the more we have to type on our phones, the more we realize that how convenient voice typing actually is. Sure, it isn’t perfect, however, it is definitely getting quite close. Along with wireless earphones being all the rage right now, voice typing is being used more than ever as well. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Missing Microphone Icon on Keyboard. Let’s begin!
Amidst this, users also have noticed that their microphone icon seems to be missing on their keyboards. If you guys are one of them, then here is what you also can do about it.
- 1 What is Voice Typing
- 1.1 Microphone Icon Missing on Gboard?
- 1.2 Fixes
- 1.3 Microphone Icon Missing on LG keyboard
- 1.4 Possible fixes
- 1.5 Microphone Icon Missing on Samsung keyboard
- 1.6 Possible fixes
- 1.7 Conclusion
What is Voice Typing
As the term suggests, Voice typing is also a form of tying, also without even any physically touching your keyboard, if virtual or physical as well. The concept is not new and also has actually been around because of the early 2000s.
But, as we move toward contactless communication along with wireless earphones and also many other such devices voice typing has also taken a front foot. Voice typing depends on speech recognition. This is via no means an easy feat since the number of languages and dialects in the world is astounding as well. But, in recent years we have seen technology bloom into every and each aspect of communication.
This incredible piece of technology is not really available right in the palm of your hand. Voice typing is integrated into almost each and every virtual keyboard on the Google Play Store. With these voice typing eliminates the need to physically type on your phone. You simply speak to your phone, and also the voice recognition engine translates your speech to text as well.
Microphone Icon Missing on Gboard?
Google Keyboard or ‘Gboard’ is actually a Google Virtual keyboard available for download from the Google Play Store. However, Google devices such as the Pixel series come along with the keyboard preloaded. Any user can download and turn on the keyboard on their device.
If you guys have noticed that the microphone button on your Google keyboard is missing. Then here are some possible solutions in order to help you get it back.
Check microphone permissions
The voice typing function needs the keyboard to be able to access your device’s microphone. It does this via request permissions. If it does not get these permissions, and it will not be able in order to access the microphone.
- In order to enable microphone permission for your Gboard app.
- Now open your device Settings, and then head to Apps > Gboard.
- Then scroll down to ‘Permissions. Tap ‘Microphone’ and then choose ‘Allow’
Turn off Faster voice typing
Faster voice typing is a new really new feature that Google has begun rolling out to its line of Pixel devices. The idea is to decrease latency between speech recognition and transcription. But, a number of users have found that disabling this function seems in order to help along with the problem. So why not provide it a go?
- In order to disable Fast voice typing (if you have it), head to your device Settings.
- Follow the above guide in order to go to General management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard.
- Now under Voice typing, toggle Faster voice typing off. Just restart your phone and check your keyboard.
Turn on Voice typing
This is a simple one, however, it’s always a good idea to check. By default whenever you download Gboard the voice typing setting is enabled. However, you guys could have disabled it via mistake.
- In order to enable voice typing on Gboard, just open your device Settings, and head to General management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard.
- Choose Gboard to open the setting for the Gboard app. Head to ‘Voice typing’ and toggle ‘Use voice typing’ on.
Clear app storage
This seems to be the most widely used fix for the problem actually. Clearing your keyboard app’s storage (clearing its data, that is) removes any changes and also preference settings. That you guys have made to the app and reset it to its original settings.
- In order to clear the Gboard app’s storage, head to your device’s Settings. Now head to ‘Apps’. Here search for the Gboard app as well. If you guys do not find it, enable ‘All apps’ from the top panel.
- Now go to Storage. At the bottom of the screen click ‘Clear cache’, and ‘Clear data’.
- Go ahead and open a texting app, in order to check if this fixed the problem.
Microphone Icon Missing on LG keyboard
Just like the Samsung keyboard, the LG keyboard too uses Google voice typing for its voice typing function as well. The LG keyboard basically comes preinstalled on LG devices.
If you guys do not see the microphone button on your LG keyboard here is what you guys can try.
Turn on Google voice typing
As mentioned above, the LG keyboard basically uses Google voice typing. So if you guys have that setting disabled, you will not see the microphone button on your LG keyboard. In order to enable Google voice typing, just go to Settings > Language and input.
Toggle ‘Google voice typing’ on as well. You will have to restart your device for the settings in order to take effect.
Update the Google app
Google voice typing is synonymous along with the main Google app. Make sure both, your keyboard as well as the Google app are updated as well.
In order to update your app, go to the Google Play Store and then search for the app. If the app also has an update you should see an ‘Update’ option next to ‘Open’.
Reboot in Safe mode
Safe mode also lets you run your OS in a controlled environment. This also helps eliminate any third-party apps that you guys may have installed that could be interfering along with your keyboard.
- In order to boot your LG phone in safe mode, also keep the power button pressed for 3 seconds.
- In the new menu tap and hold on to the ‘Power off button. You guys will receive a message asking if you would like in order to restart in Safe mode. Just click on yes.
- When your phone boots in Safe mode, open a text messaging app and then check if your LG keyboard also has the microphone button. If it does, then it means that an app on your phone is interfering along with the keyboard.
- Reboot your phone normally, and then uninstall any apps that were installed around the time you guys noticed that the microphone button had disappeared as well.
Microphone Icon Missing on Samsung keyboard
The Samsung keyboard is basically a fully equipped virtual keyboard that is preloaded along with all Samsung devices. The keyboard also has emoji support as well as a dedicated GIF button. Samsung devices cannot uninstall the Samsung keyboard, but, they can still use third-party keyboards instead as well. The Samsung keyboard can only be downloaded from the Galaxy Store or via installing the APK as well.
If you guys have noticed that the microphone button on your Samsung keyboard is also missing. There are some possible solutions in order to help you get it back.
Turn on Google voice typing
Surprisingly the Samsung keyboard actually uses Google’s voice recognition in order to transcript your voice to text rather than its own Bixby voice. So if you guys do not have Google Voice typing enabled, then you will not see the microphone button appear on your keyboard.
- In order to enable Google voice typing, head to your device’s Settings. Now just head to General management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard as well.
- Now just choose ‘Manage keyboards’. Toggle ‘Google voice typing’ on.
- You guys will have to restart your device for the settings to take effect.
Check the Custom key
Well, Samsung recently moved the voice typing microphone button to the Custom key on the keyboard. This is because it added the setting in order to turn on or off the Keyboard toolbar. Whenever the Keyboard toolbar is disabled, the microphone button can be accessed via keeping the Custom key pressed.
The custom key on the Samsung keyboard is basically the comma (,) key. Open the keyboard in a messaging app, and also hold down on the key. This should bring up a small menu along with additional buttons. You guys should see the microphone button there as well.
Enable Keyboard toolbar
The keyboard toolbar is also added to the top of your keyboard in order to make different buttons. Such as Settings and Voice typing are easily accessible. Whenever you turn on the toolbar, then you should see the voice typing button appear each time you guys open the keyboard.
In order to enable the keyboard toolbar on the Samsung keyboard, head to your device Settings. Now just head to General management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard. Choose ‘Samsung keyboard’ from the list. Now choose ‘Style and layout’. Toggle ‘Keyboard toolbar’ on as well.
Restart your device
Because the Samsung keyboard relies on Google voice typing, a change to the Google app could affect the voice typing function on the keyboard. Then restart your device in order to make sure there is no app interfering with it.
In order to restart your device, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds. Now choose ‘Restart’ from the new menu.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!