One of the biggest differences between the Minecraft Java version and also the Minecraft Bedrock or UWP version is controller support actually. The Minecraft Java version does not support controllers, however, the UWP version has support out of the box along with options in order to customize the controls. Just read this article to know all about Minecraft Controller Support on Windows 10. Let’s begin!
Minecraft, when played on a PC, may work best if you play it along with a keyboard and mouse. However, everyone has their own preference whenever it comes to controlling a game as well.
Play Minecraft Java with Xbox controller
In order to play Minecraft Java with an Xbox controller, you guys need an app. That can run in the background and transmit the controller’s input to the game, and you also need to configure it. So that the controls are transmitted correctly.
Steam also has excellent controller support; it can support generic gamepads, PS4 controllers, and Xbox controllers. You guys can use this method to connect and use just about any controller along with Minecraft Java.
- You have to download the Steam client for Windows 10.
- Just open Steam.
- Sign in with your Steam account (it’s absolutely free).
- Head to Steam>Settings.
- Choose the Controller tab.
- Tap on ‘General controller settings.’
- Then turn on the support for your Xbox controller.
Add Minecraft to Steam library
You must have Minecraft Java already installed on your Windows 10 system in order to proceed.
- First of all, just Open Steam.
- Head to Games> Adds a non-Steam game to My Library.
- Choose the Minecraft Launcher.
- Then tap on ‘Add selected programs.’
Configure Xbox controller for Minecraft Java
This will actually take a little time since you have to configure each control set, however, you only have to do it at least once.
- Just connect your Xbox controller to your Windows 10 system.
- You have to open Steam.
- Head to Library.
- Choose Minecraft.
- Tap on Controller Configuration.
- Choose each of the control items, joysticks, keypads, etc., one by one, and map it to keyboard control actually. In order to use the left joystick to move, configure it as a ‘Directional pad’ and map it to the WASD keys. To use the right joystick to the pan along with the camera, map it as a Joystick mouse. You guys will have to manage the sensitivity to suit yourself.
- When you do that configuring the controller, tap on the green Play button under Minecraft in Steam.
- The game will open, and you guys will be able to use your controller to play it.
Note: Controller configurations can be changed at any time and reset to default. These settings are only for Minecraft Java as well. No other games will comply along with these configurations.
Well, That all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!