Get a new iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro and want to transfer all data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone? With the latest versions of iOS, the process of transferring everything from one iPhone to another is easier. Thanks to a great feature called QuickStart and iPhone Migration which allows for easy direct data transfer between an old and new iPhone 11 series. This is about as simple as it gets for migrating from an old to new iPhone.
To use this QuickStart and the direct data transfer feature, each iPhone will have to be running at least iOS 12.4 or later. Make sure they’ll need Bluetooth and wi-fi enabled. If you got an iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 13.1, you’ll transfer data directly over as long as the older iPhone is running a modern version of iOS too.
How to Use Quick Start Data Migration from Old iPhone to iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max
Make sure Bluetooth and wi-fi are turned on with both iPhones before proceeding. For best results, you’ll want both devices to be plugged in, or at least have fully charged batteries.
- Place the two iPhones near one another, then turn on the new iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro and pause at the “Quick Start” screen.
- On the old iPhone, you’ll see a “Set Up New iPhone” screen, so tap “Continue” on that.
- Wait a moment for an animation to appear on the iPhone 11 screen, then hold the old iPhone up so that animation is shown in the devices camera viewfinder
- Now on the new iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Pro, enter the old device’s passcode
- Go through the setup process for Face ID or choose to set it up later *
- Choose “Transfer from iPhone” on the new iPhone.
- A “Transferring Data” screen will appear on both the old and new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max, now you just have to let this complete and a time estimate will be provided with a progress bar.
- When the data transfer has completed, the new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max will be ready to use with all data from the old iPhone completely migrated over
It is the easiest way to migrate everything from an existing iPhone to a new iPhone.
The new iPhone will boot and load. Make sure to remove the SIM from the older iPhone to the new device.
If you plan to sell the old iPhone then you’ll want to erase and reset the iPhone to factory settings before doing so. As it will remove all data from the iPhone and make it set up like it’s brand new.
Everything is done wirelessly between the two devices through an ad-hoc network, sort of like when you’re using AirDrop. You can use a wired connection to transfer data with iPhone Migration and QuickStart. Make sure you have a Lightning to Lightning cable.
Direct data migration from iPhone to iPhone this way is really easy. Perhaps it is the best and fastest way to set up a new iPhone for most users now.
You can also ignore Face ID if you’d rather not use the facial recognition biometric unlocking method. Doing so requires you to unlock your iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro with a passcode instead.
Did you get a new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max? Do you prefer to use the handy direct iPhone data migration feature? How did it work for you? Let us know your experiences in the comments below.