In the world of social media, it isn’t really enough to just know what different apps really do. You also have to understand the lingo for each of those apps. Yes, each of your social media apps also has its own lingo also including abbreviations, emoticons, as well. Just read this, we are going to talk about What Does ION Mean on SnapChat – What its Meaning. Let’s begin!
What does ‘ion’ stand for?
Simply put, ion stands for ‘In Other News. It is basically an acronym that has come to be used quite universally. Ion’s use extends beyond the confines of Snapchat, and also can even be found in text messages and DMs. A lot of emoji keyboards have stickers pertaining to ion as well. You guys can search for these stickers via the acronym or just ‘in other news’ as well.
Actually, it’s a new slang acronym in social media and ion basically stands for “In Other News” & “I don’t”. Many times, you can also see this universal acronym along with any other social media text messages and DMs also including Snapchat. However, the fact is, only a few folks knew about ion in Snapchat text messages. That’s why a quick Google search is mostly needed to clarify what your friend is actually talking about.
If your friend is using ION in a text message in capital letters as well, then it may be used to change the point of a conversation actually. In that case, ION means “in other news”.
How is ‘ion’ used on Snapchat?
The acronym is mainly used in order to change the topic of a conversation. Such as, if you are talking about one thing, however, want to shift focus to another, then you can use ‘ion’ and then start the next conversation.
It can also be used to start a conversation along with someone whom you do not most of the time talk to. In this regard, the ion is used in order to break the ice and introduce a topic immediately.
Used out of context, the ion is a fun way to bring attention to a fact that you guys would like to share. Such as, ‘ion, UFOs are flying around Earth, and also no one is really shocked’.
How to use ‘ion’ on Snapchat
You guys can use the acronym in a myriad of ways on Snapchat. Also, you can use ‘ion’ text in your message, snap, or even in your Snapchat story as well. BTW, Snapchat also has a sticker for ‘in other news’, and that you can add in order to your snaps. Whenever used in a snap or story, it is really better to create a separate textbox for ion. This lets you highlight the topic instead of the ‘ion’ text. If you guys don’t feel like typing it out, then you could always just use the sticker rather.
In order to use the ‘ion sticker’ on a snap, first open the Snapchat app, and tap on a picture to set it as the background to your snap. Now click on the ‘Stickers’ button in the right-side panel. With the search bar at the top, search for ‘in other news’. Click on the sticker that you would like to add to your story. When you have your sticker, you can also go ahead and add the fact that you would like to highlight. Press the background anywhere to add your text.
Similar terms to ion on Snapchat
Here are some terms that relate closely to ‘ion’ actually. Some of them can also even be used interchangeably.
- ICYDK: This basically stands for ‘In Case You Don’t Know. It can also be used interchangeably along with ‘ion’ and ‘FYI’ in order to signify a change of topic.
- News flash: Such as ‘ion’, this term can be used to bring attention to a new topic. Most of the time, something the person cares about.
- IMO: This stands for ‘In My Opinion’. IMO is used in order to voice your own opinion about matters that you hold dear.
- FYI: ‘For Your Information’ is really universally used to inform someone about something they probably do not know as well.
Some other meanings for ‘ion’ on the web
While used colloquially ion has a very particular meaning, the internet is a really vast trove of information. So the use of ion on Snapchat is not as globally accepted when you might think. Here are a lot of other terms that ‘ion’ may also refer to.
- An atom or molecules that possesses a charge (that is used primarily in the scientific community)
- I Don’t: Ion sounds a lot like the words ‘I Don’t‘ said instantly and casually. This is why it has come to be used as such. Such as ‘ion even know what to say (I don’t even know what to say).
- Inter-Office Note: Used just like a way to send messages between people within the same office.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!