If you guys are facing this issue where all icons in Start Menu or Desktop have really changed to Internet Explorer icons. Then chances are the .exe file association that might have also been broken via some 3rd party program conflicting along with Registry. The programs mess along with the IconCache.DB as well as the .lnk extension which is why you guys are seeing the Internet Explorer icons all over your Windows shortcuts as well. Now the main problem is that you guys can’t open any programs via Start Menu or Desktop. When they all have Internet Explorer icon actually. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Shortcut icons changed to Internet Explorer icons. Let’s begin!
Now there is no specific reason as to why this issue occurs. However, it surely has to deal along with malicious software As well as in most cases viruses from executable files or from a USB flash drive. It is also advised after the issue is resolved you guys buy good Antivirus protection for your system. So without wasting any further time let’s now see how to actually Fix Shortcut icons changed to the Internet Explorer icon. Along with the help of the below troubleshooting steps.
How to Fix Shortcut icons changed to Internet Explorer icon
- Tap on Windows Key + R then type Regedit and click on Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to the following registry key:
- You have to make sure to expand the FileExts folder and then find the .lnk subfolder.
- Just right-click on .lnk folder and select Delete.
- Just close Registry Editor and reboot your PC in order to save changes.
Try System Restore | Internet Explorer icon
- Tap on Windows Key + R and type”sysdm.cpl” then click on enter.
- Choose the System Protection tab and then select System Restore.
- Tap on Next and just choose the desired System Restore point.
- Now follow the on-screen instruction in order to complete the system restore.
- Just after reboot, you also may be able to Fix Shortcut icons changed to Internet Explorer icons.
Clear Thumbnails cache
Run Disk Cleanup on the disk where the folder along with the black square appears.
Note: This would basically reset all your customization on the Folder. So if you don’t really want that then try this method at last as this will definitely fix the issue.
- Head to This PC or My PC and right-tap on the C: drive to choose Properties.
- Now from the Properties window, just tap on Disk Cleanup under capacity.
- It will then take some time in order to calculate how much space Disk Cleanup will be able to free as well.
- You have to wait until Disk Cleanup analyzes the drive and gives you a list of all the files that can be removed.
- Checkmark Thumbnails from the list and tap on Clean up system files at the bottom under Description.
- Now just wait for Disk Cleanup to complete and then see if you are able to Fix the Shortcut icons changed to the Internet Explorer icon.
Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes | Internet Explorer icon
- You need to download and install CCleaner & Malwarebytes.
- Just run Malwarebytes and then let it scan your system for harmful files as well.
- If you find malware, then it will automatically remove them.
- Now run CCleaner and in the “Cleaner” section, just under the Windows tab. We also suggest checking the following selections to be cleaned:
- When you’ve made certain the proper points are checked, then simply tap on Run Cleaner, and let CCleaner run its course as well.
- In order to clean your system further choose the Registry tab and makes sure you check the following
- Choose Scan for Issue and permit CCleaner in order to scan, and then click Fix Selected Issues.
- When CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” and choose Yes.
- When your backup has been completed, just choose Fix All Selected Issues.
- Now just restart your PC in order to save changes.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Also See: Fix Retrieving Data Wait A Few Seconds And Try To Cut Or Copy Again
Leave a Comment