Kodi actually means streaming, however, if you guys are facing the dreaded buffer wheel or an unresponsive UI. Then you’re likely to be experiencing frustration instead of the bliss of a media binge. However, we’ve got you. Just read this article to know all about How to Speed Up Kodi Streaming – Methods You Should Know.
Kodi is actually the best thing that’s happened to movies because of the VCR. The software permits you to stream high-quality content on a wide range of devices, accessing videos and shows from all corners of the world. However, discovering new films and catching up on old favorites is real fun. The party can come to a grinding halt if you guys experience frequent Kodi slowdown actually.
No matter which device you guys are using there are a lot of tricks you guys can use to streamline and speed up Kodi. From new skins to configuration toggles and specialized add-ons as well. Just read on to see some of the most effective ways in order to speed up Kodi.
Why is Kodi running slowly?
There are many different reasons that your Kodi installation could be running slowly. We’ll start via addressing some of the more common issues so that we can instantly isolate the cause.
If Kodi loads content slowly or in short bursts then it’s likely there’s a problem with your internet connection. Firstly, get everyone in your household to stop using the internet and then run a network. This will basically show you your network’s average upload and also download speeds across a short period of time as well.
Kodi configuration problems | how to speed up kodi streaming
Even though Kodi can be installed on a lot of different platforms, not every device on each platform actually has the same specifications. For instance, some Android cell phones are actually less powerful than others. If your buffer size is too large or your cache size is really small. This can actually lead to a significant slowdown on your device. Luckily, there’s a way in order to optimize Kodi’s settings to better accommodate your device’s hardware.
Limited computer memory (this is mostly an issue for those running Kodi on mobile devices and streaming devices such as firestick. So when you mention this one, also talk about and link to delete Kodi builds and unused addons,
Configure Kodi for your device
First of all, you’ll have to install the Ares Wizard Kodi addon. It takes a few seconds to open, however, once it does, just tap on the Tweaks option at the top of the screen. You’ll see a menu on the left-hand side – just tap on Advanced Settings Wizard.
Ares Wizard will actually tell you what a cache is and analyze your system. When this is done, it will recommend a cache size based on your device’s hardware. Tap on the Generate settings button at the bottom of the page. You’ll see your device’s recommended cache size, CURL timeout, and also the read buffer factor. Tap on the Apply these settings button, restart Kodi, and then try to load a video. This will permit you to see if the system optimization resolved your slowdown issue.
Clear Kodi’s cache
A cache is basically a collection of previously accessed data. If there are some pieces of information that are frequently needed, it actually makes sense to save them somewhere convenient for faster access. Problems can also arise whenever the cache is full (that means slow access to important files) or when software is updated. However, still depends on older, cached files. Clearing the cache can also help in these cases, and doing that on Kodi is really simple.
Keep a VPN Active Each Time You Stream
Staying safe online is actually a huge concern these days, even for casual internet users. Kodi fans have a few extra worries to add to the list, well, all thanks to the added attention on piracy-oriented Kodi add-ons. You guys can keep yourself safe from throttling ISPs and surveillance happy government agencies through using a VPN whenever you stream along with Kodi. VPNs encrypt your data in order to make it impossible for third parties to read. No one actually knows what you’re watching whenever a VPN is active. That makes it one of the few methods of staying safe online.
NordVPN | how to speed up Kodi streaming
- Optimized servers to unblock Netflix
- Most VPN servers along with different IP addresses
- Allows more than 6 devices to be connected at once
- No logs and encrypted connections for total privacy as well
- 24/7 Live Chat.
- Really little
- Can’t specify City or Province in App actually.
NordVPN does everything right whenever it comes to Kodi. It is natively available on all the most famous Kodi devices. Such as the Amazon Firestick, Android tablets, iOS devices, and so much more. And these VPN apps are really lightweight and also responsive–even on older devices with limited processing power. Hence, NordVPN won’t compete along with your streaming apps.
With NordVPN’s massive network of more than 5,800 servers in 59 countries. You guys can “spoof” into a virtual IP registered within another country’s borders. This permits you to bypass geoblocks that otherwise restrict your access–an obvious boon to Firestick users who love international content–or who travel a lot as well. There are never any limits on bandwidth, server switching, or also traffic type. So just stream all you such as –NordVPN never keeps logs of your activity either, so it’s all completely anonymous actually.
Common Slowdown Issues You Can Fix
- Crashing or freezing – Some crashes are really normal (see below), however, others are both inconvenient and downright irritating. Issues such as this are generally related to your operating system and Kodi itself, not something that you installed. Try to update Kodi to a newer version or rebooting your device.
- Stuttering video – Most of the users confuse this for an internet issue but if a video stops and starts rapidly. Almost like someone’s hitting the pause or unpause button at hyper speed as well. It actually means that you’re having severe framerate issues actually. This is likely caused via low-powered hardware struggling to keep up with the demands of an HD or 4K video as well. Switch to a lower-quality stream, or just try it on a stronger system.
- Frequent video buffering – If a video constantly pauses to buffer, then your issue is likely related to your internet connection, not necessarily Kodi itself.
- Slow menu – If Kodi scrolls through icons at a snail’s pace, then it’s trying to load too many items for your hardware to keep up with. Just switch to a lightweight skin or clear your cache in order to speed things up.
How to Speed Up Kodi Streaming – Methods You Should Know
Streamline Kodi via Changing the Settings
Kodi does just about everything as efficiently as possible right out of the box actually. The vast majority of users never have to touch the settings menu to get the fastest experience possible. There are also a few visual niceties Kodi sticks to that don’t necessarily add anything to your media center activities actually. Follow the steps below to turn off them and squeeze some more speed out of your installation.
- Head to Kodi’s main menu and click on the gear icon.
- Select “Interface Settings”
- At the bottom, just tap on the gear text until it says “expert”
- And at the top of the left menu, tap on “Skin”
- If you aren’t via Estuary, Kodi’s default skin, you might want to switch to it now. The following configuration settings are designed to take benefit of the Estuary’s already zippy interface.
- Tap on “Configure skin…”
- In the skin settings under “General”, just make sure the following options are turned OFF:
Use slide animations Show weather info in top bar Show media flags
- Just head to the “Artwork” tab.
- Then turn the “Show media fanart as background” OFF.
Use a Faster Skin for a Streamlined Kodi Experience
Kodi is pretty easy to customize, which is why so many folks have developed new themes and skins for the software. Many of these rearrange some of Kodi’s basic interface in order to provide easier access to the content that you need. Others go a bit crazy and throw all sorts of animations and images in your face actually. It might look attractive, however, it can turn Kodi into a slow, almost unusable piece of software.
Make Kodi Faster with the Ares Wizard Add-on
Ares Wizard is basically a powerful utility add-on for Kodi that can perform a lot of installation and uninstallation functions as well. There’s also a tab or two oriented towards that keeps Kodi clean and streamlined. Before you guys begin the steps below. Head over to our Ares Wizard installation guide to get the add-on set up and ready to roll as well.
The best place to start is through adjusting the cache settings. This can help improve your video streams and also cut down on Kodi buffering issues as well.
- Head to the Kodi main menu.
- Tap on “Add-ons”
- Then go to “Program add-ons”
- Just open Ares Wizard.
- Tap on “Tweaks”
- Select “Advanced Settings Wizard”
- Tap on “Next” at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click “Generate Settings” as well
- The wizard will then set the sliders to optimal positions for your device. You guys can also adjust them manually.
- Tap on “Apply Settings”
- Restart Kodi for the changes in order to take effect.
Further | how to speed up kodi streaming
Ares Wizard also has a general maintenance section that’s good for removing unnecessary clutter from your system. It’s largely geared towards freeing up storage space, but regular cleaning can produce a faster Kodi experience overall.
- First of all, open Ares Wizard from the Program Add-ons menu.
- Tap on “Maintenance”
- On the right, select the “delete cache/temp” button.
- Ares Wizard will immediately clear out your cache as well.
Speed Up Kodi along with a New Operating System
Whenever it comes down to it, then all the tweaks and tricks in the world won’t add all that much speed to Kodi. Sure, you’ll notice a difference, however, it pales in comparison to upgrading your hardware or decreasing the load on your current device as well. That’s where home theater PCs and operating systems such as OpenELEC and LibreELEC come into play.
OpenELEC (Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center) is actually one of the earlier operating systems. That is designe to run Kodi and practically nothing else. It was released in 2009 and will instantly turn even basic hardware into a dedicated home theater system along with Kodi and a handful of unofficial add-ons pre-installed.
In 2016 most of the OpenELEC team left, forked the code, and then founded LibreELEC. The differences between the two are minimal, although LibreELEC gets updates a little more frequently. And is dedicated to being a not-for-profit piece of software as well.
Speed Up Kodi via Upgrading Hardware | how to speed up kodi streaming
Kodi also runs on practically each and every device on the market. Just because you guys can install it on your five-year-old Android TV box doesn’t mean you’ll get good performance out of it, though. A lot of Raspberry Pi users report that Kodi is sluggish on their system Largely because of the platform’s underpowered hardware. You’ll also be prone to slow down when running Kodi on smartphones. Especially if you guys are streaming HD content or casting your screen to another device as well.
Well, using lightweight skin or switching to a lower quality video can streamline Kodi a little. Then you’re actually much better off simply installing the app on more powerful hardware as well. Nothing takes the place of a sturdy processor and a handful of RAM actually. Alternative devices like the ones list above can mostly do the job. However, for high-powered and fast Kodi performance, go with a PC, laptop, or top-tier TV box such as the NVidia Shield TV.
Other Quick Fixes for Speeding Up Kodi
Some slowdown problems can actually be persistent. Others are defeated in a matter of moments thanks to the right tweaks and streamlining tips as well. Before you start to uninstall things, try the suggestions below. They only take a second or two to complete, and they might just speed things up also!
- Reboot everything – Cache issues can actually be a problem, both for Kodi and the device that you’re running it on. Try to shut down the software first. If that doesn’t speed anything up, reboot your device, launch Kodi, and then try again.
- Update Kodi – Older versions of Kodi can actually run poorly on newer hardware. Make sure you’re using the latest version because new releases are generally faster and better optimized than legacy apps.
- Delete unneeded add-ons – Some add-ons run in the background, also even when you’re streaming. Others contribute to slow start-up times through forcing Kodi to check them for updates. Either way, deleting add-ons you no longer need will likely give you an instant speed boost.
- Factory reset – Sometimes your Kodi installation is too far gone in order to make tweaks and configurations worth the effort. Whenever this is the case, it’s mostly best to do a complete factory reset. The best way to do this is just to download Ares Wizard, back up your sources. Then use it to do a smart factory reset as well.
Well, That all from my side. If you want to know more about this “how to speed up kodi streaming” article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!