When you guys pair and connect a Bluetooth device on Windows 10. Then it is given a name that is specified via the device manufacturer. This holds true for simple devices such as headphones, and also for more sophisticated devices like smartphones. The name is there simply so that users can easily identify the device as well. Windows 10 doesn’t actually use the device name to communicate with it. Rather, it uses the MAC address which users cannot change. If you’re not happy along with the name a device has. Or you have many devices with just the same names, you can rename Bluetooth devices to anything you want. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Rename Bluetooth Devices in Windows 10. Let’s begin!
- 1 How to Rename Bluetooth devices on Windows 10
How to Rename Bluetooth devices on Windows 10
What are the Reasons for renaming Bluetooth devices on Windows 10?
The primary reason in order to change the Bluetooth device name on Windows 10 is because when you connect your Bluetooth device to your Windows 10 PC. Then the name displayed will be the name that is specified via the device manufacturer. Such as, connecting your Sony DSLR does not have to show as Sony_ILCE6000Y on your Windows 10. Rather, you can change the name to something simple such as Sony DSLR.
Ways to rename Bluetooth devices on Windows 10
We have also a guide that you can follow for renaming your Bluetooth devices on your Windows 10 actually. Here are the methods that you guys can follow to rename the Bluetooth devices on a PC.
Rename Bluetooth Device through the Control Panel
You guys can use this method for easily renaming your Bluetooth device that you can also connect to your Windows 10 PC. So, if your Bluetooth device has a really complicated name, and also you want to rename it to something simple, then you guys may follow these steps.
- The first step is basically to turn on the Bluetooth for your Windows 10 PC and then the device you want to connect to.
- Now, you have to wait for both your Bluetooth devices to connect.
- When you connect both the devices through Bluetooth, you guys have to open the Control Panel. For opening the control panel, you can also use the run dialog box. Press Windows key + R key in order to launch the Run dialog box and type ‘Control panel‘ then press enter.
- In the control panel, you guys have to open the Hardware and Sound section.
- Now, click on Devices and Printers from the displayed list of options.
- In Devices and Printers, you have to choose the connected device that you wish to rename then right-click on it and choose the Properties option.
- A new window will now pop up, where under the Bluetooth tab, you guys will see the default name of your connected device.
- You can also edit the default name through clicking on the name field and renaming it as per your preference. In this step, you can also easily rename the Bluetooth device and click on Apply to save the changes.
- Now, turn off the connected device that you have renamed. In order to apply the new changes, it is important to disconnect your devices and reconnecting them to apply the new changes as well.
- After you turn off your device, you guys have to reconnect the device to check if the Bluetooth name changes or not.
- Again open the Control Panel on your PC, head to the Hardware and Sound section, and then tap on Devices and Printers.
- Now under devices and printers, you will be able to see the name of the Bluetooth device that you guys recently changed. The displayed Bluetooth name is basically the new updated name of your connected Bluetooth device.
When you have changed the name of your connected Bluetooth device. Then this is basically the name that you are going to see whenever you connect this Bluetooth device on Windows 10. But, there are chances that if the device driver gets an update, then your Bluetooth device name is basically reset to the default.
Further, if you remove your connected Bluetooth device from the paired list, and then pair it again on windows 10. Then you guys will see the default name of your Bluetooth device, that you may have to rename again via following the above steps.
Moreover, if you guys change your Bluetooth device’s name on your Windows 10 system. Then the name that you have changed will only apply to your system. This actually means if you are connecting the same Bluetooth device on another Windows 10 PC, then you will also see the default name, that the device manufacturer specifies.
Rename the Bluetooth name of your Windows 10 PC
In this method, you guys can rename the Bluetooth name for your Windows 10 PC that gets displayed on other Bluetooth devices. You can also follow these steps for this method.
- The first step is basically to open the Settings app on your Windows 10 system. For this, tap on Windows Key + I in order to open Settings.
- In Settings, you guys have to click on the System section.
- Then in the system section, locate and open the ‘About’ tab from the screen’s left panel.
- You guys will see the option of Rename this PC. Tap on it in order to rename your Windows 10 PC.
- A window will then pop up, where you guys can easily type a new name for your PC.
- After you rename your PC, then just tap on Next to proceed.
- Choose the option of restart now.
- When you restart your PC, you can also open the Bluetooth setting to check if there is also a change in your discoverable Bluetooth name.
Well, That all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!