Your smart TV is actually the heart of your home entertainment center. Then why not boost its streaming power along with Kodi actually? If you’re ready to access an entire world of new TV shows, live streams, movies, music, and much more, this guide is just for you. It’s also really easy to install Kodi on smart TVs–just follow our step-by-step instructions and you’ll be up and running in minutes as well. Just read this article to know all about How to Install Kodi on Smart TV – Full Tutorial.
Well, there’s nothing like sitting down in front of a high-definition smart TV at the end of a long day. The only thing that can actually make it better is access to free movies and also shows from around the globe. All made possible via the open-source community behind Kodi. Installing Kodi on your smart TV is a really great way in order to make sure that you never want to leave your couch.
Kodi and all of its add-ons give an incredible amount of content, almost all of which is absolutely free. The catch is some of these unofficial extensions can also access pirated movies and TV shows even without your knowledge. This has raised red flags along with rights holders who have shut down Kodi add-ons. And actually pressured ISPs into throttling Kodi downloads or also sending copyright infringement notices to streamers too.
You can protect yourself from these threats through using a virtual private network. VPNs create a safe tunnel between you and the internet via encrypting data and sending it through remote servers as well. Nobody can actually tell who you are whenever you connect to a VPN, nor can they tell what you’re downloading too.
- Very affordable plans
- More than 5,400 servers in 61 countries
- 2,048-bit SSL keys and DNS leak protection
- Strict zero-logs policy on both traffic and metadata as well
- Live Chat Support too.
- Some servers can be slow and unreliable
- Refund processing can take more than 30 days.
NordVPN is the best-regarded provider in the industry, and that’s in no small part because of how it enhances streaming apps such as Kodi. The core offering here is an absolutely massive network of up to 5,800 servers in 59 countries. This provides you ready access to tens of thousands of virtual IP addresses to “spoof” your way past geoblocks and accesses international content from across the world. Do you want more anime? Then pick a Japanese server. Mad for UK cooking shows? There’s a NordVPN server (well, more like hundreds of servers) for that as well.
Unlike run-of-the-mill proxy services, though, NordVPN also equips your connection along with NSA-grade encryption through their NordLynx protocol. This basically blocks out ISP tracking and throttling, hides your true IP address from websites, dodges censorship, and also surveillance as well. And thwarts would-be cyber-attackers all at the tap of a button. And in conjunction along with NordVPN’s SmartPlay feature, even infamously stubborn sites such as Netflix are powerless in order to stop you.
Did we mention NordVPN never really limits your bandwidth, speed, traffic type, or server switches? What’s more, you’re entirely free to use their network how you guys actually like; they never keep logs of your activity. So rest assured that your traffic is entirely anonymous and also secure as well. And perhaps most importantly, NordVPN is also available on Firestick, Android TV boxes, and many other smart TV-compatible systems.
Will My Smart TV Run Kodi?
Kodi basically runs on a massive variety of hardware, that includes each and everything from streaming sticks to TV set boxes, mobile devices, and also PCs. Not all smart TVs are actually capable of running custom software such as Kodi, however. Smart TVs are extremely low-powered and also have minimal processing and storage capabilities. That can make running apps a challenge. They also tend to use their own operating systems, many of which Kodi can’t really support.
Whether or not you guys can install Kodi directly to your smart TV relies on the particular make and model. A general rule is that if you guys can access the Google Play Store from your TV’s interface. Then you can install Kodi directly from there as well. If you can’t, then you’re better off looking into third-party Kodi options such as Fire Stick TV or Roku.
Well, below are some of the biggest smart TV manufacturers and the state of their Kodi compatibility as of October 2017 as well. Even if your television isn’t directly compatible, just check the guides in the sections below for easy and fast workarounds.
- LG Smart TVs – Most run webOS, that isn’t compatible along with Kodi.
- Panasonic Smart TVs – All of Panasonic’s TV sets run their custom software that doesn’t actually work with Kodi.
- Samsung Smart TVs – Nearly all of Samsung’s TVs basically run a custom, proprietary operating system that isn’t compatible with Kodi actually. An official port for Samsung TVs is in the works, although it faces a number of stumbling blocks and also may never be released.
- Sharp Smart TVs – Sharp’s TV products mostly run third-party OS software that’s incompatible along with Kodi. A few models also do use Android TV, however.
- Sony Smart TVs – Sony’s TV devices basically run a number of different operating systems. Although Android TV has gained popularity in recent years. If you guys can access the Google Play Store from the TV, then you can install Kodi.
- Vizio Smart TVs – A number of Vizio’s products basically run a custom version of Google TV (Android TV). If you guys can access the Google Play Store, then you can easily install Kodi.
How to Install Kodi on a Smart TV
If your smart TV runs a newer version of the Android TV operating system, then you’re in luck! It’s really easy to install Kodi on these devices, opening up the whole ecosystem of third-party and official Kodi add-ons. All you have to do is access the Google Play Store and install. Note that some TVs may avoid you from doing this, even if they run the right operating system actually. Your performance can be a little sluggish, as well, so just install and stream along with caution.
- Open the Google Play Store via selecting the icon in your TV’s menu.
- Sign in along with your Google account.
- Choose the search bar and type in “kodi“
- Tap on the icon, then click “Install“
- After a few moments, Kodi will appear on your app’s menu, just ready to go!
Remember: if you guys are using Kodi, then always activate a VPN on the same device. Smart TVs running Android OS also support a number of VPNs via default, also including our recommendation above. Install and then sign in first, then stream along with complete privacy.
Best Kodi-Compatible Smart TVs
If you guys are in the market for a new smart TV, then why not pick up one that will let you watch a wider range of content? More and much more TVs are turning to the Android TV operating system in order to power their streaming apps. This is excellent news for Kodi fans because the software can be installed along with just a few clicks. Check out some of the best Kodi compatible smart TVs below and get ready to supercharge your next movie night as well.
- Sony XBR – A thin 4K compatible series of smart TVs that actually run Android like a dream. XBRs are stunning to look at and give an amazing picture no matter what you’re watching. Best of all, you guys can install Kodi straight from the app store, no fuss as well.
- Philips 6800 – Ultra-thin, 4K compatible, and powered via Android TV, Philips’ 6800 line of smart TVs are excellent choices to watch movies via Kodi, and they’re really friendly on your budget, too.
- Sharp Aquos – Although most of the Sharp TVs use a custom operating system, newer models are being released along with Android TV at the helm. This basically means easy access to Kodi and a ton of many other movie and TV watching apps as well.
Can’t Install Kodi on Your Smart TV? Try These Workarounds!
The vast majority of smart TVs on the market simply can’t run Kodi actually. Some compatibility issues make custom ports impossible, and many others are just too underpowered in order to stream movies via Kodi and its add-ons. The good news is that there are dozens of other ways in order to add the Kodi experience to your smart TV. Check out some of our favorite alternatives below as well!
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon has two fantastic movie streaming devices that are called the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. The former is a set-top box that basically plugs into your TV and adds a ton of new video options. Also including Amazon’s own Prime streaming service. The Fire TV Stick is a less expensive and portable version of the set-top box. That basically offers the same functionality in a smaller package. Both are really wonderful movie devices, and both run Kodi without even any problems.
Installing Kodi on Amazon Fire Tv Stick or set-top device is laughably simple. You can also do it in just a few minutes, and you don’t even need to be a tech genius to get it done. You can also install a VPN on your Fire TV device for better privacy. That is making this one of the easiest, safest, and least expensive ways of watching Kodi on your smart TV as well.
Run Kodi on Raspberry Pi
If you’ve got a little more time on your hands and don’t really mind a little command-line manipulation. Then installing Kodi on a Raspberry Pi is an excellent way in order to stream movies to your smart TV. Basically, all you need is actually a Pi device, an HDMI port, and a quiet afternoon that you can spend working on the setup.
If you’re new to the Raspberry Pi community, then you have to follow the official Kodi installation guide for detailed instructions as well. The Kodi wiki also has a full page dedicated to tweaking, optimizing, and installing Kodi on the Pi actually. And also don’t forget to install a VPN on your Raspberry Pi, as well!
Kodi on Apple TV
Most Apple and iOS products are locked down in an effort in order to keep sketchy apps away from trusting users. With a little time and the right tutorials, however, Apple TVs can also be a surprisingly comfortable home for Kodi. We have a complete guide on how you can install Kodi on an Apple TV, covering almost everything from the original hardware versions all the way to more modern releases as well. You’ll need time and also some technical knowledge to get it done. However, once you’re finished there’s nothing like seeing that Kodi logo on your Apple TV device.
Alternatives to Kodi – Plex and Sling TV
One theory explaining why smart TV manufacturers exclude Kodi is basically to encourage people to use built-in apps with the same functionality. Kodi’s open-source nature provides you a ton of movie, TV, and international streaming options. However, when you can’t physically access the software those features don’t do you much good! Even if your smart TV doesn’t really support Kodi, there are a few programs with the same features you can install to stream videos and custom content.
- Plex – Plex does a lot of things Kodi does, along with a few extras. One of the biggest bonuses is actually the ability in order to stream downloaded videos from one device to another. Install Plex on your PC, such as, add the app to your smart TV, then stream content wirelessly. Most smart TV interfaces have support for Plex built-in, that make this a viable option when you can’t use Kodi.
- Sling TV – Sling TV is an a la carte TV service that also lets you purchase live channels and watch them at your leisure. No crazy packages to buy, just the content that you guys want at extremely low prices. Almost all smart TVs support Sling TV out of the box, as well. You guys can even unblock Sling TV and watch it abroad!
Well, That all from my side. If you want to know more about this “how to install kodi on smart tv” article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!