Well, setting up sound devices on Windows can actually be a messy business. Drivers can also clash with each other, Windows might also misread one kind of sound output as another, and you guys may have to dive into your sound settings in order to figure out exactly what’s going on. Whenever your headphones are not working in Windows 10 and 11. It’s time for some troubleshooting. Of course, all going well, you guys should be able to plug a sound device in and have it just work. However, if that doesn’t happen, then this guide is here to swoop in and save you. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Headphones not working in Windows. Let’s begin!
Your headphones are not getting recognized via Windows 10? Or your headphones are not really working in Windows 10? The problem lies long with the incorrect sound configuration, damaged cable, headphone jack might be damaged, Bluetooth connectivity issues, as well. These are just a few issues that can actually cause the headphone not working issue. However, the cause can vary as different users also have different system configurations and setups.
- 1 How to Fix Headphones not working in Windows
- 1.1 Set Your Headphone as Default Device
- 1.2 Change Default Sound Format | Headphones not working
- 1.3 Restart your Computer
- 1.4 Let Windows Automatically Update Your Audio/Sound Drivers
- 1.5 Manually Update Your Sound/Audio Drivers
- 1.6 Run Audio Troubleshooter | Headphones not working
- 1.7 Turn off Front Panel Jack Detection
- 1.8 Disable Audio Enhancements
- 1.9 Conclusion
How to Fix Headphones not working in Windows
Set Your Headphone as Default Device
- Tap on Windows Key + I in order to open Settings and then select System.
- From the left-hand tab, then tap on Sound.
- Now under Output, then tap on “Manage sound devices“.
- Then under Output devices, tap on Speakers (which are currently Disabled) and then click on the Enable button as well.
- Now head back to the Sound Settings and from the “Choose your output device” drop-down choose your headphones from the list as well.
If this doesn’t really work then you can always use the traditional way in order to set your Headphones as the default device:
- Right-tap on your Volume icon and choose “Open Sound Settings”. That is under Related Settings tap on the Sound Control Panel.
- You have to make sure you are on the Playback tab. Right-tap in an empty area and choose “Show Disabled device“.
- Now right-click on your Headphones and then choose “Set as Default Device“.
This should definitely help you guys resolve the headphone problem. If not then just continue along with the next method.
Change Default Sound Format | Headphones not working
- First, right-click on your Volume icon and choose “Open Sound Settings”.
- Now under Related Settings, then tap on the Sound Control Panel.
- You have to make sure you are on the Playback tab. Then double-tap on the Speakers/Headphones (default).
Note: The Headphones will also appear as Speakers too.
- Just switch to the Advanced tab. From the “Default Format” drop-down then try changing to a different format and tap on Test each time you guys change it to a new format.
- When you start hearing audio in your headphones, then tap on Apply followed via OK.
Restart your Computer
Although this doesn’t even seem like a fix, however, has helped many people. Just plug in your headphones in your PC and then reboot your PC. Whenever the system restarts check if your headphone starts working or not.
Let Windows Automatically Update Your Audio/Sound Drivers
- You have to right-click on your Volume icon and choose “Open Sound Settings”.
- Now, just under Related Settings click on the Sound Control Panel. Make sure you guys are on the Playback tab.
- Then choose your Speakers/Headphones and then tap on the Properties button.
- Now under the Controller Information, just tap on the Properties button.
- Tap on the Change Settings button (that Needs Administrators permission).
- Just switch to the Driver tab and then tap on the Update Driver button.
- Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
- The sound drivers will automatically update and now you guys can check if you are able to fix the headphone jack not working in Windows 10 issue as well.
Manually Update Your Sound/Audio Drivers
- You have to right-click on “This PC” as well as “My Computer” and then choose Properties.
- In Properties windows in the left plane, choose “Device Manager.”
- Now expand Sound, Video, and Game controllers, and then right-tap on High Definition Audio Device and choose Properties.
- Just switch to the Driver tab in the High Definition Audio Device Properties window and tap on the Update Driver button.
This should just update the High Definition Audio Device Drivers. Just restart your PC and then see if you’re able to resolve headphones not detected in Windows 10 issue.
Run Audio Troubleshooter | Headphones not working
- Tap on Windows Key + I in order to open Settings and then tap on the Update & Security icon.
- From the left-hand menu make sure in order to choose Troubleshoot.
- Now under the “Get up and running” section, you need to tap on “Playing Audio“.
- Next, tap on Run the troubleshooter and follow on-screen instructions in order to fix the headphones not working issue.
Turn off Front Panel Jack Detection
If you guys have installed the Realtek software, just open the Realtek HD Audio Manager. And then check the “Disable front panel jack detection” option that is just under Connector Settings in the right-side panel. The headphones and many other audio devices should work without even any problem.
Disable Audio Enhancements
- You have to right-click on the Volume as well as Speaker icon in Taskbar and choose Sound.
- Next, switch to the Playback tab and then right-click on Speakers and choose Properties.
- You need to switch to the Enhancements tab and then tick mark the option ‘Disable all enhancements.’
- Tap on Apply followed by OK and then restart your PC in order to save changes.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment