Although most folks access Gmail using a web browser ( Webmail ) Gmail also allows access via the POP3 and IMAP4 protocols. This is useful as it permits you in order to access your Gmail email via standard desktop email clients such as Windows Live Mail and also email Apps on smartphones and tablets. In this tutorial, we will look at setting up Windows Live Mail in order to access Gmail via IMAP4 as it is the preferred access protocol. Have a look at this article Gmail Settings for Windows Live Mail – Tutorial.
Gmail Settings for Windows Live Mail – Tutorial
- Well, Gmail is normally accessed using a browser that is a web-based client.
- This type of access uses secure HTTP as standard.-HTTP as well.
- Google doesn’t really allow access to Gmail mailboxes via traditional IMAP and POP clients via default. However, it does let you configure access as well.
- In order to do that you need to login into your Gmail account with your web browser and then head to Settings,
- Tap on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- In the IMAP Access section then tap on the enable IMAP radio button.
- At one time this was enough, however, Google has tightened security, and will block access to less secure clients. And it also considers Windows Live Mail to be a less secure client as well.
- In order to enable access, head to account settings as well.
- Head to the Sign in the Security section and tap on the arrow.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Less Secure App box and turn on access as well.
- You guys should get an email from Google informing you that access in order to less secure apps has been enabled.
Setting Up Windows Live Mail | gmail settings
Now the Google account is all set up you can now set up an account in Windows live mail actually.
Setting Up The WLM Account
- First, choose the Accounts tab and then tap on the Email
- Then a new account screen Opens as well.
- Fill out your account details and then just check the manually configure server settings.
- Another screen appears that needs the Gmail server names and ports.
- The screenshot below shows the Gmail server settings, and they are also available here,
- Note: The server settings are applicable to Windows Live Mail and many other POP or IMAP clients.
- Just enter the server details as well. You guys have to pay attention to your server security settings, Ports, and also SMTP authentication.
- Click on next when finished and then you should get a setup complete box.
- Windows live mail should then start to synchronize along with Gmail and also download email messages according to the synchronization policy as well.
- The default synchronization policy appears in order to synchronize all messages.
- If you guys are connecting to a mailbox that has lots of messages then it will take a long time to synchronize.
- You can also change the synchronization settings on a per-folder basis via right-clicking the folder and choosing Synchronization Settings and changing it to new messages only as well.
Mostly Asked Questions and Answers
Q- I have sent an email from WLM will I see that sent email if I log on to my Gmail account?
A- Yes you guys will.
Q- If I delete an email from my inbox on WLM is can I still access it by logging on to my Gmail account via a web browser.
A- No you guys can’t. The inbox on your WLM client is synchronized along with the inbox on your Gmail account. So whenever you delete it from WLM it is also deleted from the Gmail inbox and also vice-versa.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment