There may also be situations where you have to print any file for an urgent meeting and you also have to submit those files in just 30 minutes. So what you mostly do is open the file and go to the print option to print the document. However, suddenly you noticed that in the bottom right corner of your system the status of your printer is also showing as offline. This is a usual problem for users because even whenever your Printer is clearly ON and also ready to print, the status is showing offline. Just read this article to know all about How to Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows. Let’s begin!
This is caused by the communication error through the printer with your system. There is no specific cause for this error, however, the issue could be caused due to outdated or incompatible drivers. Conflict of printer spooler services, also a problem with physical as well as hardware connection of the printer to PC, etc. So without wasting any further time let’s see How you can Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows along with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
- 1 How to Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows
How to Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows
Update Printer Driver
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type “services.msc” and click on enter.
- Just find the Print Spooler service then right-click on it and choose Stop.
- Now again press Windows Key + R and then type printui.exe /s /t2 and click on enter.
- In the Printer Server Properties window, just search for the printer that is causing this issue.
- Now, remove the printer, and whenever asked for confirmation in order to remove the driver as well, select yes.
- Now again head to services.msc and right-tap on Print Spooler and select Start.
- Next, navigate to your printers manufacturer’s website, just download and install the latest printer drivers from the website.
For example, in case you guys have an HP printer then you have to visit HP Software and Drivers Downloads page. Where you guys can easily download the latest drivers for your HP printer as well.
- If you’re still not able to fix Printer Offline Status and then you can use the printer software that came along with your printer. Mostly, these utilities can detect the printer on the network and also fix any issues that are also causing the printer to appear offline.
Such as, you can use HP Print and Scan Doctor in order to fix any issues regarding HP Printer.
Check Your Printer Connection
Whenever there is an error showing your status of the printer as offline. The system wants to tell users that there is something wrong along with the communication. That is between the printer and also the system through the USB cable or network connection. In order to solve this issue the steps are:
- In order to restart your printer, off the power supply of the printer and then switch it ON again.
- Now again just check the connection of your printer.
- If the connection of your system along with the printer is made via a USB cable. Just make sure your cable is working properly and also the connections to the ports are fitted tight. You guys could also switch the USB port in order to see if this resolves the problem.
- If the connection of your system along with the printer is made through wired networks. Just check if the connection to your cable is proper or not. Also, you guys can check if the signal to your printer is flashing or not.
- If the connection of your system along with the printer is made via a wireless network. Just make sure your printer is connected to your PC network. And the wireless icon will lit up to show that you guys are connected.
If nothing works and then you should try in order to run Printer Troubleshooter:
- Just type “troubleshooting” in Control Panel and then click on Troubleshooting from the search result.
- Next, from the left window pan, just choose View all.
- Then from the Troubleshoot PC problems list just choose Printer.
- Now follow on-screen instructions and also let the Printer Troubleshooter run.
- Just restart your PC and you may be able to Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows 10, and if not then continue along with the next method.
Change the Printer Status | Get Your Printer Back Online
- Just turn off your Printer and then again turn it back ON.
- Now click on the key combination Windows Key + I in order to open Settings.
- Now tap on “Devices” and then from the left-hand side menu choose the “Bluetooth & other devices” option.
- Then under Related settings and tap on “Devices and printers“.
- Then, you guys have to right-click on the printer icon along with a green check-mark and select “See what’s printing”.
Note: If there is no default printer, and then right-click on your printer and choose “Set as default printer“.
- You guys will see the printer queue, and see if there are any unfinished tasks, and then make sure to remove them from the list.
- Now from the printer queue window, just choose your Printer and uncheck the “Use Printer Offline” and then the “Pause Printer” option.
Use a Second Printer | Get Your Printer Back Online
This approach of solving the issue will basically work only whenever the printer is connected via a network to the PC (rather than the USB cable). Otherwise, you guys can manually set your IP address for your printer.
- Tap on Windows Key + I in order to open Settings and then click on Devices.
- From the left-hand menu, tap on “Bluetooth & other devices“.
- Now from the right window pane, just tap on “Devices and printers“.
- Right-tap on your printer and choose Printer properties from the context menu.
- Now switch to the Ports tab and then click on the “Add Port…” button.
- Select “Standard TCP/IP Port” under Available port types and then tap on the New Port button.
- Then on the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard, tap on Next.
- Now type in the Printers’ IP Address as well as Port name then tap on Next.
Note: You guys could easily find the IP address of your printer on the device itself. Or you could also find these details on the manual that came along with the printer.
- When you successfully added the Standard TCP/IP Printer, then just click Finish.
See if you guys are able to Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows 10. If not then you have to reinstall your printer drivers.
Reinstall your Printer Drivers | Get Your Printer Back Online
- Tap on Windows Key + R then type control printers and click on Enter to open Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on your printer and then choose “Remove device” from the context menu.
- Whenever the confirm dialog box appears, then tap on Yes.
- Now after the device is successfully removed, just download the latest drivers from your printer manufacturer’s website.
- Then reboot your PC and when the system restarts, just tap on Windows Key + R and then type control printers and click on Enter.
Note: Make sure your printer also connects to the PC through USB, ethernet, or wirelessly.
- Tap on the “Add a printer” button under the Device and Printers window as well.
- Now windows will automatically detect the printer, choose your printer and click Next.
- Now Set your printer as default and tap on Finish.
Restart Print Spooler Service
- You can use the shortcut key combination Windows Key + R in order to open the Run application.
- Now type in their “services.msc” and click on Enter or click OK.
- Just scroll down to look for “Print Spooler” from the service utility window and check if the status is running or not.
- If you guys cannot see the status, then you can right-click on Print Spooler and select “Start”.
- Or else, double-tap on Print Spooler service & then make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic and the service is running. Then tap on Stop and then again click on start in order to restart the service as well.
- Tap on Apply followed by OK.
- Now after that, again try to add the printer and see if you guys are able to Get Your Printer Back Online in Windows.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!