If you guys are among the users who are facing a black screen whenever browsing in Mozilla Firefox. Then don’t worry since it is caused due to a bug in just the recent update of Firefox. Mozilla recently also explained the cause of the black screen issue that is due to a new feature called Off Main Thread Compositing (OMTC). This feature will permit video and animations in order to perform smoothly over short periods of blocking. Just read this article to know all about How To Fix the Firefox Going Black Issue. Let’s begin!
The issue in a lot of cases is also caused because of old or corrupted graphic card drivers, hardware acceleration in Firefox, as well. So without even wasting any time let’s now see How you can Fix the Firefox Black Screen Issue along with the help of the below-listed troubleshooting guide as well.
How To Fix Firefox Going Black Issue
Judging from the reports sent via those who have encountered this problem. Well, there could be a lot of causes for it. Some only started facing the problem after installing a new driver, extension, antivirus, as well as any other forms of software. Others say that they started noticing the issue after they upgraded to Windows 10 as well. Yet there are also quite a few who don’t even recall installing any new software prior to this problem popping up as well.
There are a few fixes that you guys could try to resolve the black screen problem from within the browser as well. However, what if you guys can’t even access Firefox. So we should also start along with those fixes that do not even need you to be logged into the browser. And then we’ll also move on to many other solutions.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode
- First of all, you have to open Mozilla Firefox then from the top right corner tap on three lines.
- From the menu tap on Help and then tap on “Restart with Add-ons Disabled“.
- Now on the pop-up, just tap on Restart.
- When the Firefox restart it will then ask you guys to either Start in Safe Mode or Refresh Firefox.
- Tap on Start in Safe Mode and then see if you guys are able to Fix the Firefox Black Screen Issue.
Disable Hardware Acceleration
- You have to open Firefox then type “about:preferences” (without the quotes) in the address bar and just click on Enter.
- Now just scroll down to Performance and then uncheck “Use recommended performance settings“
- Now under Performance uncheck “Use hardware acceleration when available“.
- You have to close Firefox and then reboot your PC.
Update Firefox | Firefox Going Black
- First, just open Mozilla Firefox and then from the top right corner then tap on three lines.
- From the menu, just tap on Help > About Firefox.
- Firefox will automatically check for updates and will then download updates if available.
- Now just restart your PC in order to save changes.
Turn off Firefox Extensions
- You have to open Firefox and then type “about:addons” (without quotes) in the address bar and click o Enter.
- Just Disable all Extensions via tapping on Disable next to each extension.
- Now restart Firefox and then tap on one extension at a time in order to find the culprit which is causing this entire issue.
Note: After enabling anyone extension that you have to restart Firefox.
- Just remove those specific Extensions and reboot your PC.
Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
- You have to right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and then choose Disable.
- Then, choose the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled as well.
Note: Just select the smallest amount of time possible Such as 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
- When you do that, again try to open Firefox and just check if the error resolves or not.
- Now type control in the Windows Search and then tap on Control Panel from the search result.
- Then, you need to click on System and Security.
- Then tap on Windows Firewall.
- Now from the left window pane, just tap on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Choose Turn off Windows Firewall and then restart your PC as well. Again try to open Firefox and then see if you guys are able to Fix the Firefox Black Screen Issue or not.
If the above method doesn’t really work, then make sure to follow the exact same steps in order to turn on your Firewall again.
Switch temporarily to another browser | Firefox Going Black
If you guys are experiencing a black screen on Mozilla Firefox, then perhaps this is the right time in order to switch to a different browser. So why not just try out a browser that comes along with less to zero error messages like Opera? Well, downloading Opera actually takes only a couple of minutes, and then settings it up is really easy. Besides, you can also switch from your default browser to Opera in only a few steps as well.
Namely, after downloading it, in the Settings area, you guys can find a Synchronization option. That permits you in order to import bookmarks, pages, and any other data from your default browser. Moreover, you guys can also customize the browser adding icons, sidebars, workspaces, as well as bookmarks for ease of access and also a better-organized workflow as well.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment