Final Fantasy XIV is a massively famous online game amongst the gaming community all over the world. Because of its customization features for characters & interactive features in order to converse with other players. But, it is a well-known fact that users mostly face fatal errors and cannot determine their cause. Occasionally arising out of nowhere and that states, “A Fatal DirectX error has occurred. (11000002)”, is actually a nightmare of any gamer. The screen briefly freezes just before the error message is also displayed, and the game crashes. Just read this article to all about How to Fix the Final Fantasy 14 Fatal DirectX Issue. Let’s begin!
- 1 How to Fix Final Fantasy 14 Fatal DirectX Issue
How to Fix Final Fantasy 14 Fatal DirectX Issue
Why does FFXIV Fatal DirectX Error actually Occur?
- Usage of DirectX 11 on full-screen mode
- Outdated or corrupted drivers
- Conflict along with the SLI Technology
Now that we have an idea of the probable causes for this error let us now discuss many solutions to fix it.
Update Graphics Driver
As is the case along with most DirectX failures, this one is almost certainly caused via a malfunctioning as well as outdated graphics driver. Here is how you can update the graphics driver on your PC:
- Tap on the Windows + R keys together in order to open the Run box. Type devmgmt.msc and tap on OK.
- In the Device Manager window, just expand the Display adapters section as well.
- Next, right-tap on the driver, and then choose the Uninstall device option.
- Next, head to the manufacturer’s website (Nvidia) and choose your OS, computer architecture, and also graphics card type.
- Now just Install the graphics driver via saving the installation file to your PC and running the application from there.
Note: Your PC may also restart a lot of times throughout the installation process.
Any issues along with graphics card drivers should be resolved via now. If you still continue to encounter FFXIV Fatal DirectX error, just try the next fix.
Launch the game in a borderless window
In order to fix the Final Fantasy XIV Fatal DirectX error, you guys can also alter the game configuration file in order to start the game in a borderless window:
- You have to open File Explorer via clicking its icon from the Taskbar or via pressing Windows Key + E together.
- Next, just head to Documents.
- Now, locate and then double-click on the game folder.
- Just look for a file titled FFXIV.cfg. To edit the file, right-tap on it and choose Open with > Notepad.
- Now open the Search box via pressing the Ctrl + F keys together (or) via clicking Edit from the ribbon and then choosing the Find option.
- In the search box, you have to type screen mode and click on Find Next button. Now, change the value next to ScreenMode to 2 as well.
- To save the changes, just tap on Ctrl + S keys together and close Notepad.
Restart the game to see if the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error issue exists or has been solved as well.
Run FFXIV Using DirectX 9 | Final Fantasy 14 Fatal DirectX
If the game is unable to run via DirectX 11 (that is set as default by Windows) and then you can try switching to DirectX 9 and then run the game using it. Users have also claimed that changing Direct X11 to DirectX 9 actually has resolved the fatal error as well.
Disable DirectX 11
You guys can also disable DirectX 11 in-game via navigating to Settings > System Configuration > Graphics tab as well. Just like that, you can do this without even entering the game.
How to Enable DirectX 9
- Just double-click the Steam icon on your desktop or search for Steam via the Taskbar search.
- Just navigate to the Library at the top of the Steam window. Then, just scroll down in order to find Final Fantasy XIV from the game list.
- Just right-click on the Game and choose Properties.
- Tap on the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS button and now set the Direct 3D 9 (-dx9) as the default.
- In order to confirm the changes, just click the Ok button.
If you guys don’t see the above option then right-click on the game and choose Properties. In the LAUNCH OPTIONS, you need to type “-force -dx9” (without quotes) and close the window to save changes.
The game will now use Direct X9, and thus, the FFXIV Fatal DirectX error should be resolved or not.
Disable AMD Crossfire
- Right-tap on an empty area on the desktop and then choose AMD Radeon Settings.
- Now, just tap on the Gaming tab in the AMD window.
- Then, tap on Global Settings in order to view additional settings.
- Toggle off the AMD Crossfire option in order to disable it and to fix the fatal error issue.
Disable NVIDIA SLI | Final Fantasy 14 Fatal DirectX
SLI is basically an NVIDIA technology that enables the users in order to use multiple graphics cards in the same setup. But, if you see the FFXIV fatal DirectX error, and then you should consider turning off SLI.
- Right-click on the desktop, and then select the NVIDIA Control Panel option.
- After launching the NVIDIA Control Panel, and then click on the Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX that is under the 3D Settings.
- Now just checkmark Disable under the SLI configuration section.
- At last, click Apply in order to save your changes.
How do I update DirectX?
- Tap on the Windows key on your keyboard and type check.
- After that, then tap on Check for updates from the search result.
- Tap on the “Check for updates” button and follow the on-screen instructions in order to Update Windows.
- This will basically install all the latest updates, also including DirectX.
What is a fatal DirectX error?
Well, in “A Fatal DirectX error has occurred (11000002)”, the screen briefly freezes just before the error message is also displayed, and the game crashes. The majority of DirectX issues are basically the result of a faulty as well as out-of-date graphics card driver. Whenever you encounter the fatal DirectX error, you have to make sure the driver for your graphics card is also up to date.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!