A lot of users face an error code 0x80072efe whenever trying to update their Windows via Windows update, which is really a serious problem. Without even updating the system, it can be vulnerable to spyware, viruses as well as malware. The Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe mostly means that the system cannot contact Microsoft’s Windows Server. Well, Microsoft also has certain criteria you guys must meet in order to download latest updates from its servers. Also, including having correct date & time on your PC. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix Update Error Code 0x80072efe in Windows. Let’s begin!
Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe
Yes, the main cause of this error has incorrect date & time on your PC, as well as it can also be due to Firewall blocking the connection. In any case, you guys won’t be able to download and install the latest updates from Microsoft. And in order to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe; you guys must follow the below troubleshooting guide.
Set Correct Date and Time on your PC
- Tap on the date and time on the taskbar and then choose “Date and time settings.
- If on Windows 10, you need to make “Set Time Automatically” to “on.
- For others, tap on “Internet Time” and then tick mark on “Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server.”
- Choose Server “time.windows.com” and tap on update and “OK”. You don’t even need to complete the update. Just tap, OK.
Well, setting correct date & time should Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe. However, if the issue is still not resolved, then just continue.
Uncheck Proxy Option | Error Code 0x80072efe
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type inetcpl.cpl and click on enter to open Internet Properties.
- Then, just head to Connections tab and choose LAN settings.
- Now uncheck Use a Proxy Server for your LAN and then make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
- Tap on Ok and then Apply and reboot your PC.
Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Many times the Antivirus program can cause an error, and to verify this is not the case here. You have to disable your antivirus for a limited time. So that you can check if the error still appears whenever the antivirus is off.
- You need to right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and choose Disable.
- Next, just choose the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled.
Note: Select the smallest amount of time possible, Such as, 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
- When you do that, again try to connect to open Google Chrome and then check if the error resolves or not.
- Just search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and tap on it in order to open the Control Panel.
- Next, tap on System and Security and then click on Windows Firewall.
- Now from the left window pane, tap on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Choose Turn off Windows Firewall and restart your PC as well.
Again just try to open Google Chrome and then just visit the web page, which was earlier showing the error. If the above method doesn’t really work, then please follow the same steps in order to turn on your Firewall again.
Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
- First of all, you need to download and install CCleaner and Malwarebytes.
- Then just Run Malwarebytes and let it scan your system for harmful files. If malware is found, then it will automatically remove them.
- Now run CCleaner and then just choose Custom Clean.
- Then under Custom Clean, select the Windows tab and also checkmark defaults and tap on Analyze.
- When Analyze is complete, make sure you’re certain to remove the files to be deleted.
- At last, tap on the Run Cleaner button and also let CCleaner run its course.
- In order to further clean your system, choose the Registry tab, and make sure the following are checked:
- Tap on the Scan for Issues button and allow CCleaner in order to scan, then tap on the Fix Selected Issues button.
- Whenever CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” choose Yes.
- When your backup has completed, tap on the Fix All Selected Issues button.
- Now just restart your PC in order to save changes.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!