If you guys are facing random shutdowns as well as restarts then don’t worry as sometimes Windows restarts or shutdown PC. In order to install important updates, Antivirus do this in orderto protect your system from virus or malware infection, as well. However, if the random shutdowns or restarts are frequent and then this might be a problem. Imagine your computer shuts down randomly every hour, well that is a really annoying issue that users are facing. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Computer Shuts Down Randomly. Let’s begin!
Most of the PCs are design to shut down automatically if the temperature of the system actually reaches anywhere from 70 to 100 degrees Celsius. In other words, if your PC is overheating then that might be the root that is cause of the random shutdowns. However, this issue is not just limited to one cause, there can also be a variety of reasons as to why the computer shuts down randomly.
- 1 How to Fix Computer Shuts Down Randomly
- 1.1 Check Power Supply
- 1.2 Disable Fast Startup | Computer Shuts Down Randomly
- 1.3 Check for Overheating issues
- 1.4 Remove recently installed Hardware and Software
- 1.5 Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
- 1.6 Reinstall Graphics Card Driver
- 1.7 Change Power Options | Computer Shuts Down Randomly
- 1.8 Reset BIOS to default settings
- 1.9 Update BIOS | Computer Shuts Down Randomly
- 1.10 Clean Memory Slot
- 1.11 Conclusion
How to Fix Computer Shuts Down Randomly
Check Power Supply
A faulty as well as failing Power Supply is generally the cause for the PC randomly shutting down. As the power consumption of the hard disk is not met, it won’t really get enough power to run, and subsequently. Then you may have to restart the PC many times before it can take the adequate power from PSU. In this case, you may have to replace the power supply along with a new one. Also you could borrow a spare power supply to test if this is the case here as well.
If you guys have recently installed new hardware such as a video card and then chances are the PSU is not able to deliver the important power needed via the graphic card. Just temporarily remove the hardware and then see if this fixes the issue. If the issue is resolved then in order to use the graphic card you guys may have to purchase a higher voltage Power Supply Unit.
Disable Fast Startup | Computer Shuts Down Randomly
Fast Startup is actually a feature that gives faster boot time when you start your PC as well as when you shut down your PC. It is a handy feature and also works for those who want their PCs to work fast. In fresh new PCs, this feature is enabled via default but you can disable it anytime you guys want.
Most of the users had some issues along with their PC then the Fast Startup feature is enabled on their PC. In fact, a lot of users have resolved the Computer shuts down randomly issue via simply disabling Fast Startup on their system.
Check for Overheating issues
If your CPU runs too hot for a very long time, it may also cause you a lot of trouble. Also, including sudden shutdown, system crash as well as even a CPU failure. However, the ideal temperature for CPU is room temperature, a little higher temperature is also still acceptable for a short time period.
If the computer overheats then the PC definitely shuts down because of overheating issues. In this case either you have to service your PC as heats vents might be blocked. Because of excessive dust or also your PC fans are not working correctly. In any case, you guys will have to take the PC to the service repair center for further inspection as well.
Remove recently installed Hardware and Software
If you guys have recently installed new hardware then you might also be facing random shutdowns due to this new hardware. And in order to fix the issue just remove any recently added hardware from your PC. Just like that, also make sure to uninstall any software or program that you might have added recently.
Uninstall Recently Installed Updates
To uninstall the recently installed programs, first, you have to enter the Safe Mode and then follow the below steps:
- Just open Control Panel via searching for it using the search bar.
- Now from the Control Panel window and then tap on Programs.
- Then under Programs and Features, tap on View Installed Updates.
- There you will also see the list of currently installed Windows updates.
- Just uninstall the recently installed Windows updates which might also be causing the issue and after uninstalling these updates your problem may be solved.
Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
- You have to download and install CCleaner & Malwarebytes.
- Just Run Malwarebytes and then let it scan your system for harmful files as well.
- If malware is found, then it will automatically remove them actually.
- Now run CCleaner and in the “Cleaner” section, that is under the Windows tab, we also suggest checking the following selections to be cleaned:
- When you’ve made certain the proper points we also check as well. Then simply click Run Cleaner, and let CCleaner run its course.
- In order to clean your system further choose the Registry tab and make sure the following are checked:
- Choose Scan for Issue and allow CCleaner to scan, and then click Fix Selected Issues.
- Whenever CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” then choose Yes.
- When your backup has completed, and then choose Fix All Selected Issues.
- Now restart your PC to save changes and this would Fix Computer shuts down randomly issue, if not then just continue with the next method.
Reinstall Graphics Card Driver
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type devmgmt.msc and click on Enter in order to open Device Manager.
- Just expand Display adapters and then right-tap on your NVIDIA graphic card and choose Uninstall.
- If asked for confirmation, and then just select Yes.
- Tap on Windows Key + X and then select Control Panel.
- From Control Panel just tap on Uninstall a Program.
- Then, uninstall everything related to Nvidia.
- Now reboot your system to save changes and then again download the setup from the manufacturer’s website.
- When you are sure that you have removed everything, then try installing the drivers again. The setup should work without even any problems and you will be able to Fix the Computer shuts down randomly issue.
Change Power Options | Computer Shuts Down Randomly
- You have to type control in Windows Search and then tap on Control Panel from the search result.
- Now under Control Panel, then navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
- Then under Power options tap on Change plan settings next to your currently active power plan.
- Next, tap on Change advanced power settings.
- You have to scroll down and expand Processor power management.
- Now tap on Minimum processor state and then set it to a low state such as 5% or 0%.
Note: Just change the above setting both for plugged in and battery.
- Tap on Apply followed by OK.
- Just reboot your PC in order to save changes and see if you’re able to fix Computer shuts down randomly issue.
Reset BIOS to default settings
- Just turn off your laptop, and then turn it on and simultaneously press F2, DEL as well as F12 (relying on your manufacturer) in order to enter into BIOS setup.
- Now you’ll have to find the reset option to load the default configuration and it may actually be named as Reset to default, Load factory defaults, Clear BIOS settings, Load setup defaults, or something same.
- Choose it with your arrow keys, click on Enter, and then confirm the operation. Your BIOS will now use its default settings.
- When you’re logged into Windows see if you guys are able to fix Computer shuts down randomly issue.
Update BIOS | Computer Shuts Down Randomly
BIOS basically stands for Basic Input and Output System and it is actually a piece of software present inside a small memory chip on the PC’s motherboard. That initializes all the other devices on your PC, such as the CPU, GPU, as well. It just acts as an interface between the computer’s hardware and its operating system such as Windows 10 as well.
We also recommend to update BIOS as a part of your scheduled update cycle. Since the update contains feature enhancements as well as changes that will help in order to keep your current system software compatible. Along with other system modules as well as give security updates and increased stability. BIOS updates cannot really take place automatically. And if your system has outdated BIOS then it can lead to PC shuts down randomly issue. So we advise you to update BIOS in order to fix the PC shutting down the issue.
Note: Performing BIOS updates is a really critical task and if something goes wrong it can seriously damage your system. Thus, expert supervision we also recommend you guys.
Clean Memory Slot
Note: Don’t jus open your PC as it may void your warranty, if you guys don’t know what to do please take your laptop to the service center actually.
Try to switch RAM in another memory slot and then try using only one memory and then see if you can use the PC normally. Also, clean memory slot vents just to make sure and again check if this fixes the issue. Afte this, just makes sure in order to clean the power supply unit as generally dust settles on it. That can cause random freezes as well as crashes of Windows 10.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!