Today you will learn how to configure and duplicate your Clone Kodi setup. In case, if you are a Kodi power-user. Then you will probably spend a lot of time customizing your install. Also, did you know about the clone and then your configuration and import it onto fresh installs on other devices? Now, This is actually not all the complicated thing as our guide below illustrates. You can also follow it step-by-step to double your fun with Kodi in mere minutes.
Also, it can take hours, if not days. You have to set Kodi just up the way you like it. Also, by installing add-ons and also configuring them to your preferences. Now, You can also get deep into some of the software settings. It will also allow you that is for a truly customized experience. An Image that is for a second that you have just bought a brand new. Also, more powerful device that you can also play 4K videos. If you are likely to keen on the upgraded fidelity this is not the amount of work it’s going to take to get Kodi how you like it once again. In case, if you could easily clone your current configuration and then you can also transfer it to a different device? This is actually not that hard, and then we will also take you through it step by step.
- 1 Clone Kodi:
- 2 The Added Privacy While Using Kodi, Use A VPN:
- 3 Reasons to Clone Kodi Configuration?
- 4 How To Configure Clone Kodi In A Nutshell?
- 5 A Cloning Process:
- 5.1 How To Locate The Configuration Files On The Source Device?
- 5.2 A Cloning To An Android Device With No External Storage — Such As The Amazon Fire TV Stick
- 5.3 The Clone Kodi To Other Types Of Devices:
Also, Today, we will start just by explaining the different reasons. This is also possible and wants to clone your current Kodi setup. Now, this will also won’t be closed during the process. So, we will then guide you through the cloning of a Kodi to set up and its transfer to different types of devices. Then We will first explore two methods of cloning other devices with no external storage. Also, the capabilities and two methods that are used for devices having that capability. Now, you will also see, then this is not rocket science and also our instructions should help you complete this task easily and quickly
The Added Privacy While Using Kodi, Use A VPN:
So, Internet Service Providers have been known to monitor their user’s online activity. Also, they do it to ensure no one is violating their terms and conditions. Also if they suspect someone that might be. Now, they can also react just by throttling down their speed. You can also send them copyright infringement notices and even interrupting their service. Having a VPN that protects your privacy just by encrypting all data. This is also your computer using strong algorithms that will also make it almost impossible to crack. Also, Not even your ISP will know where you are going or what you are doing online. Just by choosing appropriately located servers. Having A VPN that will also let you bypass the most geographic restrictions.
Also, with so many VPN providers to choose from. You can also pick the right one that can also prove to be a challenge. So, there are many factors to consider. With the most important and also a fast connection speed. This will also reduce and sometimes eliminate buffering, a no-logging policy. This will also help further which will protect your privacy. Also, there are no usage restrictions that will let you access any content at full speed. Also, the software for multiple platforms will ensure any of your devices are protected.
Reasons to Clone Kodi Configuration?
So, There are several reasons that you want to clone a Kodi configuration. This is also possible and also want to do and then to install an identical setup on all the TV boxes throughout your house. Now, you would have the same media experience on all your TVs. This is also possible and wants you to help a friend that will set up this brand new box. Just by cloning your configuration to his installation.
Now, you will just purchase a brand-new, more powerful TV box. So, you would like to port your existing configuration to it. Using the same line of thought, perhaps you have installed the Kodi on your computer to try it out. Then You will like it and then decide to acquire a TV box and this would rather port your computer’s Kodi configuration. You to get your new device then redo it all from scratch. This is last but not least, so perhaps if you want to keep a clone of your setup as a backup. Most of the case, there is something that has badly happened to your Kodi installation.
Also, any of the procedures outlined in this article will clone the current state of your Kodi installation. Then add-ons, skins, screensavers, and then the custom configurations will also be part of the clone. Now, For all intents and purposes, a cloned device will also exactly duplicate the original. Then right down to what it is not working. Sadly, it won’t fix any issues if you have with your current setup.
How To Configure Clone Kodi In A Nutshell?
So, this was not made for that purpose–or at least, we don’t think so–but the way Kodi stores its configurations. A database add-ons, and also settings make it easy to clone. Also, the whole Kodi configuration contains this within just three folders named addons, media, and userdata. Now, All three are the subfolders of your Kodi data folder.
Also, cloning a Kodi installation that is actually just a matter of copying these three folders. Now, by porting them to the destination device. This is the porting part that can also make it more complicated. In case, if you are copying from a computer to another. Just copying files between computers is easy and it is likely something if you already know how to do. If it comes to TV boxes and media players, then things can get more complicated.
Most of the devices have no expansion capabilities. There is no USB interface and then connect to the rest of the world using the Wi-Fi network. Having the software on that there are some of these devices that do not even include a file manager. So, there are ways around most of these hurdles and this is what we’re about to discover.
A Cloning Process:
So, there are several methods that you can also use to clone your device. Now, The one that you will choose depends on the connectivity of your source and then target devices have. Also, We have tried to cover as many use-cases as possible. Then You can also precise situation that might not be covered. So, you should also be able to figure it out just by studying from the different methods and then by adapting them to your particular situation.
After that, All the procedures are outlined below. You can also assume that if you have already installed Kodi on your target device. So, you have also run it at least once. Now, you can also assume both the source and also the destination devices. You can also run the same version of Kodi.
How To Locate The Configuration Files On The Source Device?
Now, The three folders, addons, media, and userdata are also located in your Kodi data folder, So, we have already told you that. This is the very first step that you will locate to the Kodi data folder. This is the location that varies and also depends on your device’s operating system. Also, Here is where you will find them on the most commonly used Kodi operating systems.
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\ (replacing USERNAME with your actual username)
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Kodi/ (replacing USERNAME with your actual username)
Remember that: This is under the MacOS in this folder content that is hidden by default. You have to display it, and then open a terminal. Also, navigate to the above folder by typing the following command
cd /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Kodi/
In the next step, you have to enter the following command to display all hidden files in the folder.
chflags nohidden ~/Library
You have to Note that: Also, there is no easy way to view hidden files or folders in iOS. So, this is, therefore, also very complicated to clone your Kodi setup to an iOS device. Now, there are some ways around that limitation. Then they are out of the scope of this article. So, These are also some of the cases where it may be simpler to just reinstall Kodi on the new device.
The Note: If You might have to set your file explorer app to show hidden files. Now, These options are usually accessible through the file explorer app’s settings menu.
A Cloning To An Android Device With No External Storage — Such As The Amazon Fire TV Stick
This is also a good example of devices that is with limited interfacing capabilities. So, we will also use the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Also, Contrary to some of the other similar devices, and then the Fire TV Stick also has no USB port. Then you can’t connect it to a computer and then you can’t connect some external storage devices. Then such as a USB key or external USB hard disk to it. Now, The only thing that you have is a Wi-Fi connection with very limited local network access capabilities. Also, this cloning method can adapt to other devices with limited interfacing options.
To Install the ES File Explorer On Your Device:
So, With such limited connectivity devices. This is the only way to clone the Kodi configuration that is through the network. Now, there are two ways that it can be done, using the local network or by using the Dropbox online storage service. Also, both will require that and then you will also install the ES file explorer app on your device.
To Install ES File Explorer On Your Device:
In case, If you are using another type of Android device with no external storage facility. Then you can install ES File Explorer from the Google Play Store.
- You have to Go to your Fire Tv Stick Home screen. Just by pressing the Home button on the remote. Also, From there, you have to click Search which is at the very top of the Home screen menu.
- Then Search for the es file just by typing it in using the on-screen keyboard.
- Now, from the search results, and then select the ES File Explorer app.
- You have to select Download and then start downloading and also installing the ES File Explorer on your Fire TV Stick.
- When the installation is complete, then you have to click and then Open to launch ES File Explorer on your Fire TV Stick.
- Then you are now ready to use it.
Method 1: The Direct Transfer Using the Local Network
- You have to Use this method if both of the devices are connected to the same local network. Then the source Kodi data folder is also available as a network share.
- Now, From the Es File Explorer app on the destination device. Then click on the Network that is from the left side menu. You have to click on the LAN and, then on the right side, click the Scan button.
- Also, Your source computer that should soon appear. Now, You can also navigate it to find its Kodi data folder.
- In case, if you don’t see the source computer or the share. Then you can’t navigate to the Kodi data folder. You have to check your sharing parameters on your source computer. In case, if you change them then be patient as some sharing changes can take a few minutes to take effect.
- When you can also see the three source folders in ES File Explorer on the Fire Tv Stick. So, you are ready to start copying them. You can also Hold the remote control’s Select button. Then click on each of the addons, media, and userdata folders.
- Having The Fire TV Stick’s user interface that is a bit tricky and then to use but you now need to move back to the menu on the left. You have to go down to the bottom and find and click the Copy button.
- After that, Go back to the Network tab on the left side. At This time, you have to click Local and then navigate to Android/data/org.xbmc.Kodi/files/.kodi/.
- When you are there, then click on the Paste button. If you prompt this to overwrite the existing files, then click on Overwrite.
This will also Depend on the size of the data if you are transferring. Now, you can also copy and then take several minutes. When the copy completes, then you can also start Kodi on the target device and then verify that everything is installed properly.
Method 2: By Using Dropbox
So, The second method assumes that you are familiar with Dropbox and then you have already copied the three folders (addons, media, and userdata) to your Dropbox. Now, This method can also use between devices that are not connected to the same network. So, This could even be on different continents. Now, All thing that is required and this is both devices that have access to the Internet. So, this also won’t require playing with the sharing parameters.
- Using the Fire TV Stick–or another similar device. This is with the ES File Explorer app running. Now, click on the Network from the left-side menu but in this case. Then click Cloud rather than LAN.
- Now, click on New that is available at the top right, and then chooses Dropbox that is from the available options. So, You will also ask this to log into your Dropbox account.
- When you are connected to your Dropbox account. Then navigate to the location of the addon, media, and userdata folders. So, this will also explain this in the previous section. You can also hold the remote control’s Select button and click each of the three folders.
- This is just like we explained before, then click on the Copy button. You have to go back to the Network tab on the left side. Then click on the Local and navigate to Android/data/org.xbmc.Kodi/files/.kodi/. You have to click on the Paste button. If you promote and then overwrite the existing files, click Overwrite.
At This time this will take also depend on the size of the data that this is your Internet bandwidth. You can also expect it and then to take somewhat longer than the direct transfer explained previously.
The Clone Kodi To Other Types Of Devices:
A Cloning Kodi is also to limit the device such as the Amazon Fire TV Stick. So, this is amongst the most complicated type of cloning that you will encounter. Just by Doing it on any other device that is a piece of cake compared to it. In case, if your target device will run on Android, then you can also install ES File Explorer on it. Now, use one of the two methods described previously. This is For other devices so that there are countless ways that you can also go about cloning the Kodi configuration. So, Let’s concentrate on two of them that are the most used.
Method 1: The Direct Transfer Using the Local Network:
So, This one is also similar to the first method of transferring files to a Fire TV Stick. Apart from using ES file explorer and we are also going to use the target operating system’s file explorer or file manager. Now, The exact steps are also different from one system to the other. You can also make it almost impossible for us to give you detailed instructions as we usually do.
If You need to be somewhat familiar and also comfortable with both the source and destination operating systems. So, we can’t really tell that you how to perform each step, we can tell you what they are.
- This is on the target device, then you can also open the file explorer or file manager. It depends on how it’s called.
- You can also navigate to the local network and then find the source device. After that, navigate the device’s folders until you get to the Kodi data folder where the addons, media, and userdata folders are located and copy them.
- In the next step, you can also navigate back to the local device’s Kodi folder. Then paste the three copied folders.
- You can also Start Kodi on the target device and all the source configuration should be there.
Method 2: By Using Some External Storage Media
So, This last method will also require just using some external storage media such as a USB key. Now, both devices must support external USB storage. Now, The process also varies for different operating systems. This will simply require that you copy the three folders from the source device to the USB key. Then remove the key and then connect it to the target device and also copy the three folders again from the USB key to the target device’s Kodi Folder.
Having one advantage of this last method is that the source and target devices can be the same. So, let us say that you were running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi with the Raspbian Operating system. Now, You can then decide that you would rather switch to the LibreELEC operating System. You Just have to copy the three folders from Raspbian to the USB key. Now, reformat the Raspberry Pi SD card and then install LibreELEC. You can also copy the three folders from the USB key back to the Raspberry Pi. Now, you have a Kodi clone that’s now running on LibreELEC instead of Raspbian.
So, this is all about Clone Kodi. This does not matter why you need to clone your Kodi setup-and then there are many reasons. So, there are also many ways to do it. Now, You can also use one of the four methods so that we introduced. In case, if you need to be then adapt it to your specific situation. Sadly, with so many different combinations of source and also the destination devices. Then we can’t give you specific details for each.
Would you ever try to clone your Kodi configuration? So, Perhaps if you could share your experience with us. Then We are particularly interested in hearing about issues you may have encountered and solved. In case, if you have unsolved issues that is why not mention them too. Now, Perhaps another reader will be able to help. You have to Use the comments below to share your experience.