Are you guys planning to purchase a new ram right? If you are, then the size is not the only factor you guys should consider before buying. The size of the Random access memory of your PC or also laptop may affect the speed of your system actually. Users feel that the more RAM, the better the speed as well. But, it is important to consider the data transfer speed, that is also responsible for the smooth working and efficiency of your PC or laptop. Just read this article to know all about How to Check RAM Type DDR3 or DDR4 in Windows 10. Let’s start!
There are actually two types of DDR (Double data rate) in data transfer speed, that are the DDR3 and DDR4. Both DDR3 and DDR4 offer different speeds to the user actually. Hence, in order to help you check if your RAM type is DDR3 or DDR4 in Windows 10, then you can see this guide.
How to Check RAM Type DDR3 or DDR4 in Windows 10
DDR3 And DDR4 Speeds
DDR3 offers transfer or read/write speeds of more than 2133 millions transfers/second. However, DDR4 offers transfer or read/write speeds of more than 3200.
The speed for DDR is also measured in GBs transferred per second. However, DDR3 can actually transfer up to 14.9GBs/second, and also DDR4 can transfer more than 2.6GB/second as well.
For our purpose, we have to know only the transfer speed that both DDR3 and DDR4 have to offer actually.
Check RAM Type
Checking RAM type, when you know the speeds you’re supposed to be looking for, is pretty easy. Open Task Manager and head to the Performance tab. Choose memory from the column on the left, and look at the very top right. It will tell you how much RAM you guys have and what type it is. In the screenshot below, you guys can see that the system is running DDR3.
All RAM isn’t created equal so that the DDR3 chip on your system can also differ from that on another system. The speed it also has to offer depends on the specific chip that is installed. In order to check the speed, look under the Memory graph and you guys will see a dedicated Speed field telling you what your RAM’s speed is.
You cannot actually change DDR3 into DDR4 through driver updates or through doubling your RAM. Much like you cannot turn a 500 GB hard disk into a 1 TB hard disk along with software. You cannot change the speed of the RAM or its type through software.
For lots of systems, DDR3 is most of the time sufficient for most, if not every need. You only need more, better, or faster RAM actually. That is DDR4 for gaming, or perhaps heavy multimedia rendering e.g., 3D modeling or animation work. If you’re looking in order to improve the speed of your system, increasing RAM may not be the best way to do it actually. It’s better in order to invest in an SSD. An SSD can cost less or about the same as new RAM and it will also help your system run faster than whenever it was using an HDD.
using the Command Prompt
You guys can use the Windows 10 Command Prompt in order to check if your RAM type is DDR3 or DDR4. You guys can use commands to execute operations via the command prompt application. Also, you can follow these easy steps in order to check your RAM type using the Command Prompt application.
- First, type cmd or command prompt in the Windows search then tap on Run as Administrator.
- Now, you guys have to type the command in the Command Prompt and click Enter:
wmic memorychip get memorytype
- You guys will get numerical results after you type the command. Here the numerical results are for different RAM types actually. Such as, if you get a memory type as ‘24’, then it means DDR3. Now, here is a list of the numbers that represents different DDR generations.
21- DDR2 24-DDR3 26-DDR4
In our case, we also have got the numerical result as ‘24’, that means the RAM type is DDR3. Just like that, you can easily check your RAM type using the Command Prompt.
If you guys want to check if you guys have DDR3 or DDR4 RAM type on your Windows 10. Then you can try to use a professional RAM checker tool called CPU-Z that permits the users to check the RAM type. The procedure to use this RAM checker tool is pretty simple. You have to follow these steps for this method.
- The first step is to download the CPU-Z tool on windows 10 and install it.
- After you have successfully downloaded and also installed the tool on your PC, you guys can tap on the program shortcut icon to launch the tool.
- Now, head to the Memory tab of the CPU-Z tool window.
- In the memory tab, you guys will see detailed specifications about your RAM. From the specifications, you can also check if Your RAM type is DDR3 or DDR4 on Windows 10. Apart from RAM type, you can also check many other specifications. Such as size, NB frequency, DRAM frequency, number of operating channels, and much more.
Alright, That was all Folks! I hope you guys like this article and also find it helpful to you. Give us your feedback on it. Also if you guys have further queries and issues related to this article. Then let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a Great Day!