Whenever trying to extract the contents of a zip file you guys may face the following error message “Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created”. And in order to fix this issue, you have to follow this guide. Now there are other variations of this error such as “The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid” as well as The destination path is too long, or The compressed zipped folder is invalid, etc. Just read this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Windows that cannot complete the extraction error. Let’s start!
It is also possible that you guys may receive any of the above error messages. Whenever trying to compress a file or whenever extracting the contents of a zipped file. So without even wasting any further time let’s see how you can actually Fix Windows that cannot complete the extraction error. Along with the help of the below troubleshooting guide.
- 1 How to Fix Windows cannot complete the extraction error
How to Fix Windows cannot complete the extraction error
See if you can open another zip file
Chances are Windows Explorer might actually get corrupted and that’s why you guys are not able to access your files. Well, in order to make sure this is the case here just try to extract any other zip file in different locations in Windows Explorer and then see if you’re able to do this. If other zip files open properly then this specific zip file may also be corrupted or invalid.
Move the zip file to another location
If you guys are now facing the error message “Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created” then it’s possible that the zip file you guys are trying to open or extract is in the protected area. To resolve this issue, you have to move the zip file to Desktop, documents, as well. If this doesn’t work, then no worries, just follow the next method now.
Run SFC and CHKDSK | cannot complete the extraction
- Tap on Windows Key + X and then click on Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now you need to type the following in the cmd and click on enter:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (If above fails then try this one)
- Just wait for the above process in order to finish and when done restart your PC.
- Next, just run CHKDSK from here Fix File System Errors along with Check Disk Utility(CHKDSK).
- Now let the above process complete and then again reboot your PC in order to save changes. See if you’re able to Fix Windows that cannot complete the extraction error, if not then just continue along with the next method.
Fix The file name(s) would be too long for the destination
If you guys are facing the above error message then it also clearly states the file name is too long. So you have to rename the zip file to something short such as test.zip. And again try to access the zip file and see if you guys are able to Fix Windows cannot complete the extraction error now or not.
Perform Clean Boot | cannot complete the extraction
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type msconfig and click on enter to System Configuration.
- On the General tab, you have to choose Selective Startup and then under it make sure the option “load startup items” is unchecked as well.
- Now navigate to the Services tab and checkmark the box that basically says “Hide all Microsoft services.“
- Then, tap on Disable all which would disable all the other remaining services.
- Now restart your PC and check if the problem persists or not.
- After you guys had finished troubleshooting make sure to undo the above steps in order to start your PC normally now.
See if you guys are able to extract the contents of the zip file in Clean Boot. If you are then some 3rd party app might be conflicting along with Windows.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Also See: How to Find IMEI Number Without Phone