Well, the main cause of the Boot error 0xc0000098 is corrupted Boot Configuration Data (BCD). This means that Windows was not able to load the operating system because the BCD file doesn’t contain any entry of it. The Boot Error 0xc0000098 is a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error which means your computer will abruptly restart and you won’t be able to Boot your PC, hence you are stuck. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows. Let’s start!
This is a fatal error as you won’t be able to access your PC and all the files on it but don’t worry we have listed different methods in order to fix this issue. We will try to rebuild your BCD which will resolve this error and you will be to access your PC normally.
How to Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows
Run Automatic/Startup Repair
- You have to insert the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD and restart your PC.
- Whenever prompted to tap on any key to boot from CD or DVD, then press any key to continue.
- Choose your language preferences, and tap on Next. Click Repair your computer in the bottom-left as well.
- To choose an option screen, just tap on Troubleshoot.
- On Troubleshoot screen, just click on the Advanced option actually.
- On the Advanced options screen, just tap on Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
- You need to wait till the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs are complete.
- Just restart and you have successfully Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10, if not, then continue.
Repair Windows Image
- You have to open Command Prompt and enter the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Click on enter to run the above command and now wait for the process to complete, mostly, it takes 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: If the above command doesn't work then try on the below: Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
- Now when you complete the process, just restart your PC and then see if this method was able to Fix Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10.
Repair your Boot sector or Rebuild BCD | Boot Error 0xc0000098
- You have to use the above method to open the command prompt via Windows installation disk.
- Now type the following commands one by one and click on enter after each one:
a) bootrec.exe /FixMbr b) bootrec.exe /FixBoot c) bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- If the above command fails then just enter the following commands in cmd:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd
- At last, exit the cmd and restart your Windows.
Repair install Windows | Boot Error 0xc0000098
If none of the above solutions work for you then you can also make sure that your HDD is fine. However, you may be seeing the error “Boot Error 0xc0000098 on Windows 10” because of the operating system. As well as the BCD information on the HDD was somehow erased. Well, in this case, you can also try to Repair install Windows, however, if this also fails then the only solution left is to install a new copy of Windows (Clean Install) as well.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment