For the really vast number of users that Windows OS caters to, it sure does have a lot of errors actually. That pops up every now and then as well. Pop-up error messages aside, things start to really heat up and also cause anxiety actually. When one of the colored boot screen errors (Blue screen of death or red screen of death) is actually encountered. These errors will either entirely halt the PC in operation or avoid the OS from booting on altogether. Fortunately, each of them has an error code and also an error message. That points us in the right direction to recovery as well. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix The Boot Configuration Data File that Doesn’t Contain Valid Information for an operating system.
The 0xc0000098 error screen basically encounters whenever trying to power on the computer and is causing because of a corrupt BCD (Boot Configuration Data) file. First of all, the data on your PC is still safe and can be accessed. When you resolve the error. Introduced in Windows Vista, the Windows OS now continues to use the BOOTMGR (the Windows Boot Manager) as well. In order to load important drivers and components of the operating system at the time of system boot too. The boot manager actually depends on the BCD file for information on boot applications and also their respective settings too.
If the boot manager is now unable to read the file (due to corruption or if there are no OS entries in it). And thus, the information contained in it, the 0xc0000098 error will also be experienced. The BCD file can render corrupt via a notorious malware/virus. That found its way onto your computer or because of a sudden computer shutdown. It can also be corrupt hard drive drivers as well as a failing internal hard drive that is causing the error.
The Boot Configuration Data File Doesn’t Contain Valid Information – Fix
Users can also find the solution to the 0xc0000098 error on the error screen itself as well. The message basically instructs users to use the Windows recovery tools in order to repair the corrupt BCD file that is prompting the error. Now, there are also a couple of built-in recovery tools (SFC, Chkdsk, as well.). In order to check system files and repair them automatically. However, we recommend you create a bootable Windows 10 flash drive and use that to repair the BCD file. If the automated process doesn’t even work, then one can also manually rebuild the BCD file through running a couple of commands.
Manually Rebuild the BCD file | Boot Configuration Data File
Since the 0xc0000098 error is primarily caused due to a corrupt or empty boot configuration data file. We can just simply rebuild it in order to fix the issue. The Bootrec.exe command-line tool can also be used for this purpose as well. The tool is in order to update the BCD file, master boot record, and also partition boot sector code.
- You can start via following steps 1-5 of the previous method and then land yourself on the Advanced Options menu.
- Then tap on Command Prompt to open the same.
- Now run the following commands one after the other (type a command and then click on enter to execute):
bootrec.exe /fixmbr bootrec.exe /fixboot bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
- Whenever executing the bootrec.exe or rebuildbcd command, Windows will also enquire if you guys also want to ‘Can you add (an existing Windows) installation to boot list?’. Simply tap on the Y key and click on enter to continue.
Perform a Startup Repair
Startup repair is also one of the many Windows 10 recovery tools that auto-diagnosis and repair many system files. That may be avoiding the operating system from booting. In case of a boot error, a startup repair scan that automatically initiates although even if it hasn’t. One needs to plug in a Windows 10 boot drive as well as a disc and manually start a scan from the advanced startup menu.
- You have o follow the guide on How you can Create Windows 10 Bootable USB Flash Drive and prepare a bootable USB drive.
- Now, just plug it into your personal computer and click on the Power on button. On the boot screen, It will then prompt you guys to press a specific key in order to boot from the connected USB drive. Just comply with the instruction. (You guys can also enter the BIOS menu and then boot from the USB drive.)
- On the Windows Setup window, you have to choose your language, keyboard, and then tap on the Repair your computer hyperlink present at the bottom-left corner.
- Select Troubleshoot on the ‘Choose an option’ screen.
- Choose Advanced Options.
- At last, click on the Startup Repair option in order to initiate a scan.
Run an SFC and CHKDSK scan | Boot Configuration Data File
Well, apart from the startup repair recovery tool, there are also the System file checker and CHKDSK command-line tools. That can also employes to scan and repair system files. The above two solutions should also have resolved the 0xc0000098 error for most of the users. However, if they didn’t, then try using these recovery tools as well.
- Once again, you need to open the Advanced Options menu and choose Command Prompt.
- Now run the following command and click on Enter:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows\
Note: In case you guys have Windows installed on a different drive. Just replace the letter C in the command line along with the letter of the Windows drive.
- After the SFC scan has been completed, type chkdsk /r /f c: (replace C along with the drive-in which Windows is installed) and click on enter to execute.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!
Leave a Comment