The Bonjour is a highly convenient networking tool along with a zero-configuration released in 2002 via Apple to connect PCs to an existing network. This service actually comes built-in along with Apple’s OS X and iOS operating systems. Whenever you install any Apple software such as iTunes, you can check its availability in your local services. Just read this article to know all about What is Bonjour Service is and How to Disable it. Let’s begin!
What is Bonjour Service?
- Bonjour gives services like setting up network printers, file-sharing, as well.
- Bonjour permits users to automatically locate other computers or devices on a network without even doing any network configuration. It also means if you do not have a network up, this tool will help you to set up a new structure without even doing much.
Such as, if multiple computers or devices are using the iTunes app on your network, and then bonjour makes it possible to manage shared media libraries also. And an important point to mention, uninstalling this particular service will make iTunes malfunction.
Although Bonjour is also a software just like other software, it does not act similarly to your PC apps. That means you won’t be able to use this directly. It also works in the background as a service on your PC, that communicates over the local data network.
How to Disable Bonjour service?
Now, there are two ways that you can go about removing the Bonjour service. One, you can temporarily turn on the service, or second, uninstall it altogether. To disable any service on your PC, you guys will have to open the Windows Services application. There, just simply change the startup type to Disabled for the undesired service.
- To open Services, open the Run command box via pressing the Windows key + R. Then type services.msc in the text box, and tap on OK.
You can also access Services via directly searching for them in the Windows start search bar (Windows key + S).
- In the Services window, just locate the Bonjour service and right-click on it. In order to open the options/context menu. From the context menu, tap on Properties. Just like that, double-click on a service to access its properties.
- To make finding the Bonjour service easier, tap on Name at the top of the window to sort all the services alphabetically.
- First, we terminate the Bonjour service via tapping on the Stop button under the Service status label. The service status after the action should state Stopped as well.
- Now under the general properties tab, expand the drop-down menu next to the Startup type via clicking on it. From the list of startup types, just select Disabled.
- Tap on the Apply button at the bottom-right of the window to save the changes and turn off the service. Next, tap on OK to exit.
How to Uninstall Bonjour?
Well, uninstalling Bonjour is as easy as removing any other application from your pc. All you have to do is head over to the Program & Features window of the Control Panel and uninstall Bonjour from there also. Nevertheless, below is the step-by-step guide in order to remove Bonjour.
- Just open the Run command box, just type control or control panel, and click on the enter key to open the Control Panel application.
- In the Control Panel window, tap on Programs & Features. To make looking for Programs & Features easier, then change the icon size to small or large.
- Now just locate Bonjour and click on it to select.
- At last, click on the Uninstall button at the top to uninstall the Bonjour application.
- Just like that, you can also right-click on Bonjour and then choose Uninstall.
- In the following confirmation pop-up box, tap on Yes, and follow the on-screen instruction to complete the uninstallation process.
As Bonjour is integrated into multiple Apple applications some parts of it may also persist on your computer even after uninstalling the application itself. To completely get rid of Bonjour, you guys will have to delete the .exe and .dll files related to the service.
- Start via launching the Windows File Explorer through the keyboard shortcut Windows key + E.
- Now navigate yourself to the following location.
- C:\Program Files\Bonjour
(In some systems, such as the ones running Windows Vista or Windows 7 x64, the Bonjour service folder may also be found inside the Program Files(x86) folder.)
- Just locate the “mDNSResponder.exe” file in the Bonjour application folder and right-click on it. From the ensuring options menu, choose Delete.
- Now look for the “mdnsNSP.dll” file and delete it too.
Via Command Prompt
One can also uninstall the Bonjour Service files using an elevated command prompt window. If the pop-up message continues to prevail even after a PC restart.
- With a regular elevated command prompt, the window won’t really be able to completely delete Bonjour from your PC. Rather, you will have to launch the command prompt as an administrator.
- Irrespective of the mode of access, then a User Account Control pop-up requesting permission to permit the Command Prompt to make changes to your device will also appear. Simply tap on Yes to give the necessary permission.
- Next, we will have to navigate to the Bonjour folder destination in the command prompt. Just open your File Explorer (Windows key + E). Just find the Bonjour application folder, and then note down the address.
- In the command prompt, you have to type the address (\Program Files\Bonjour) and press enter.
- Then type mDNSResponder.exe –remove and click enter to run the command.
- When removed, you guys should see the confirmation message Removed Service.
- Just like that, you can skip the individual steps 2 & 3 and directly type the below command
- At last, unregister the mdnsNSP.dll file via the following command:
regsvr32 /u “%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll”
Now, just restart your computer and then delete the Bonjour folder.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!