If you guys try to run Windows 10 programs as well as utilities then the following error message may also appear “The application also has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect please see the application event log. As well as use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.” The issue is actually caused because due to a conflict between the C++ run-time libraries along with the application. And also the application is unable to load the required C++ files actually need for its execution. These libraries are actually part of the Visual Studio 2008 release and also the version numbers start along with 9.0. Just read this article to know all about How to Fix The Application has Failed to Start. Let’s start!
It’s also possible you may face another error before you guys get the error message about the side-by-side configuration. That actually says “This file association does not have a program associated along with it for performing this action. You guys actually have to create an association in the Set Association control panel” as well. Most of the time these errors are caused via incompatible, corrupt as well as outdated C++. Or also C run-time libraries but many times you may also face this error due to corrupt System Files. In any case, let’s now see how you can actually fix this error along with the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
- 1 How to Fix The Application has Failed to Start
- 1.1 Run SFC Scan
- 1.2 Find out which Visual C++ Runtime Library is missing
- 1.3 Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable | Application has Failed to Start
- 1.4 Run Microsoft Troubleshooting Assistant
- 1.5 Update the .NET framework
- 1.6 Uninstall Windows Live Essentials
- 1.7 Try System Restore | Application has Failed to Start
- 1.8 Repair Install Windows 10
- 1.9 Conclusion
How to Fix The Application has Failed to Start
Run SFC Scan
- Press Windows Key + X and then click on Command Prompt(Admin).
- Now type the following in the cmd and click on enter:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (If above fails)
- If SFC gives the error message “Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service” then you need to run the following DISM commands:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Reboot your PC in order to save changes.
Find out which Visual C++ Runtime Library is missing
- Tap on Windows Key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Then type the following command into cmd in order to start trace mode and click on Enter:
SxsTrace Trace -logfile:SxsTrace.etl
- Now don’t close the cmd, just open the application that is providing the side-by-side configuration error and tap on OK in order to close the error pop-up box.
- You have to switch back to the cmd and click on Enter which will stop the tracking mode.
- So, now in order to convert the dumped trace file into human-readable form. We will have to parse this file using sxstrace tool and then in order to that enter this command into cmd:
sxstrace Parse -logfile:SxSTrace.etl -outfile:SxSTrace.txt
- The file will also be parsed and will be saved into C:\Windows\system32\ directory. Tap on Windows Key + R and then type the following and click on Enter:
- This will basically open the SxSTrace.txt file which will then have all the information about the error.
- Now you have to find out which C++ run time library it requires and then install that specific version from the below method.
Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable | Application has Failed to Start
Your machine is actually missing the correct C++ runtime components and installing the Visual C++ Redistributable Package seems. In order to Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is an incorrect error as well. You can install all of the below-updates one via one corresponding to your system (either 32-bit as well 64-bit).
Note: Just make sure you first uninstall any of the below-listed redistributable packages in your PC and then again re-install them, you can see the names.
a) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
b) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for (x64)
c) Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
d) Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
e) Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Packages (For both x86 as well as x64)
f) Visual C++ redistributable 2015 Redistribution Update 3 as well
Run Microsoft Troubleshooting Assistant
If none of the above methods seem in order to work for you and then you have to run Microsoft Troubleshooting Assistant which will guys try to fix the issue for you. Just go to this link and then download the file named “CSSEmerg67758”.
Update the .NET framework
Just update your .NET framework from here. If it didn’t really resolve the problem then you guys an update to the latest Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.2.
Uninstall Windows Live Essentials
Many times Windows Live Essentials seems in order to conflict with Windows services. And thus Uninstalling Windows Live Essentials from the Programs and then Features seems in order to Fix The application has failed to start. Since the side-by-side configuration is incorrect error actually. If you guys don’t really want to uninstall Windows Essentials then just try to repair it from the program menu.
Try System Restore | Application has Failed to Start
- Tap on Windows Key + R and then type”sysdm.cpl” and then click on enter.
- Select the System Protection tab and then choose System Restore.
- Click on Next and then choose the desired System Restore point.
- You have to follow the on-screen instruction in order to complete the system restore.
- After reboot, you guys may be able to Fix The application that has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is an incorrect error.
So, if system restore fails then boot your Windows into safe mode and then again try to run the system restore.
Repair Install Windows 10
This method is actually the last resort since if nothing works out and then this method will surely repair all problems with your PC actually. Repair Install just uses an in-place upgrade in order to repair issues along with the system without deleting user data present on the system as well.
Well, That is all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a Good Day!